Nikon D50 kit? Or no?

primus diddy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Here's my question in a nutshell: Should I get a Nikon D50 kit or buy the lens and stuff separately?

If I should get a kit, which one and why?

My maximum price is $900, and I'll be taking some indoor shots and outdoor depending on my mood. I won't have anything but incident lighting indoors. As far as how far I see myself getting into photography, I've taken a class using 35mm and I really liked it. I definately see it being a serious hobby for a long time.

If I don't go through the kit route, I'll probably get a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8. That's faster than the kit lenses and better built, also sharper. The downside is if I do that it'll be my limit and I won't be able to get filters or anything like that.

i would think in the long run you would be better off with a better lens, and just get the filters and accessories when have the $$$ to do so... i can't comment specifically on the D50 or that lens in particular but i may have switched to nikon if that D50 had been out when i bought my 20D...

Bump!

I'm not sure on the rules about bumping, so if I shouldn't have...just let me know.

I recently purchased the D-50 but had the store change out the 18-50 mm lens( im not if that is the exact measurment but Im talking about the wide angle lens that come swith the kit) and incude the 18-70mm lens that comes with the D-70. It was a great decision the lens is great, much btter quality than the kit lenses the D50 scomes packaged with. It is a much sturdier lens. When I compare it to the telephoto lens that also comes with the D50 it wins hands down the 50-200 feels cheap and light the 18-70 has a good weight and preforms well. I would say get the body and the 18-70mm forget the telephoto unless you ablsolutely need it. I rarely use mine. For 900 you should be able to get the D50 body with a 18-70mm lens. You will not regret it. Anyone have any other thoughts on Nikkons 18-70mm lens?

Most reactions

Back