Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Today I tried to reshoot an old favorite of mine:

jacket by J E, on Flickr
That's the old version.

This is from today:

2012061609 by J E, on Flickr

The 'old' one is from 2008. I think I still like it more... Maybe I'm getting worse at this photography stuff, lol. Nearly 4 years, and I can't beat myself. :lol: I just put a B&W roll in the camera, and I plan to try it on that too. Hopefully I nail that one.

Anyone else try to reshoot old shots that you like?

I like the first one better too, but I think it's the jacket, not your skills. ;) That bright metal snap and the smoother leather just kind of kill the effect you got in the first picture.
I do think B&W might work better for the newer jacket, and maybe not having the zipper be on quite such a straight diagonal.

I don't know if I've ever tried to recreate one particular photo years later, but I've certainly tried to do a similar photo to one of my old favorites. If I think of any specifics and can find both versions, I'll post them, but that doesn't seem terribly likely. :lol:

I think I agree with your assessment. I like your old shot better too. The lighting is more interesting and it shows off the texture of the leather better. I think your second shot has a very slight blue cast as well. I say keep shootin' :lol:

I like the first one better too, but I think it's the jacket, not your skills.
It's the same jacket in both pictures. I do think the composition was a lot better the first time though. The lighting was a lot more 'directional' too...
I think your second shot has a very slight blue cast as well.
I think the TV was on - that's probably what the blue cast is from.

first one all day. the angle is what makes it imo.

^^^ Yup, the angle makes the shot (first one).
Plus the grunge processing.

The second one looks like an ad for zippers.

I think I've learned what I did wrong the second time around (lighting, mostly - as well as the composition). The B&W version will be better than the reshoot - I know it. :lol: I just hope it's at least as good as the original.

I have Kentemere 400, AKA - the grain factory, in the camera. We'll see how it looks on that.

The second one looks like an ad for zippers.
Too clean?

Looks bit like more attention was paid to lighting of the metal than creating and interesting shot. I mean, it's a zipper and a snap.
The first shot looks more like the lighting came in from the side accentuating the texture of the leather. That texture, plus the angles in the first shot, made the image about more than the subject.

That texture, plus the angles in the first shot, made the image about more than the subject.
Awesome advice. Noted.

I can still remember shooting the first one - I remember exactly what the light set-up was and all that (I can generally remember *everything*). I have high hopes for the B&W version.

I also like the old one, but I am not crazy about the plugged shadows.

I also like the old one, but I am not crazy about the plugged shadows.
I was into extreme contrast back then. :lol:

I do like that it is *almost* B&W though. With the exception of the snap, there isn't much color at all. That's partly why I think it will really work in B&W. I wonder if I should push the film for more contrast...

I tried reshooting a shot of the sun coming through some trees and azaleas... Was one of my favorites before I started learning more about photography and bought a DSLR. Can't find the hires anywhere...my reshoot is not the same. ;(

I like the angle of the first.

Here are some B&W ones from today:

Ambient window light:

2012061701 by J E, on Flickr

Flash from the side:

2012061702 by J E, on Flickr

2012061703 by J E, on Flickr

Of the second two, I think I like the first one more...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back