On C&C....

Here’s an analogy for you;
Tell me what you don’t know about any subject.
That is essentially what you are proposing.

Seriously, dude. That's just nuts.

So is you're opinion, but I'm not faulting you for it.

I guess the key here is I need to make sure I don't take any Introduction to XXX classes taught by you and I'll be good.

I can't imagine what my first trumpet class would have been like... wow.

I don't know anything about flying, other than it takes a plane. I've desperately wanted to obtain my pilots license for years now, but I don't go around blindly asking people "how can I improve my flying skills?"

When I have asked pilots about it in the past, I ask them "Do you recommend a full flight school, or a private instructor?" Or, "are there any flight schools in the area that you recommend?" I also remember asking a few pilots if they recommended I start out with a sport license or a recreational license. I know that there are those two licenses because I've at the very least completed my own google search on the matter. I don't understand the way that airspace works, or the "lanes of travel" that pilots must adhere too, I don't know anything about instrumentation other than there is usually a screen with little green dots on them, and I wouldn't have the foggiest idea about how to control a plane in the air. However, I wouldn't go into a pilots forum and ask them "how can I fly better?"

I suppose if you're suggesting that people should do some up-front work before blindly posting a picture on here and saying "Tell me what I need to do to improve", then yeah... I'm certainly with you in spirit. I'd love for folks who come here to have spent at least an hour browsing the web and learning some basics about even the language of a camera... or heck... even read a book. No argument there at all, Chris.

However, as someone pointed out earlier, the only one you can change is yourself. Speaking from experience a LOT (not all, but a LOT) of the people who come on here as noobs really haven't invested any effort beyond clicking that shutter button... and that's not likely to change.

But yes, if that is your point, then yes... I certainly agree. That would be good.

^^ Obviously, that IS his point and it has been all along. I don't guess he expected to get jumped on or branded as a newbie-hater. He has stated only some exasperation in how to help some folks who just post images and sit back passively....then maybe get upset if they actually hear some well-intended C&C.

Nonsense! You are coming off as deliberately obtuse. What is so wrong with wanting - hoping - a newbie who posts a picture will be able to say, "I took this with my so & so....I like it, but I can't really say WHY I like it, ha ha. I think it's pretty sharp, but should that shadow be there across the face? I mean, is that okay or supposedly not acceptable in good photos? You can still see the guy, of course and I like the smile. What do you all think?" Or even better, "Would there be a better way to take this picture?"

The poster may not have the slightest clue about technique, but can still figure out how to ask for help.... we can all stumble through when it matters to us. Right?

terri said:
^^ Obviously, that IS his point and it has been all along. I don't guess he expected to get jumped on or branded as a newbie-hater. He has stated only some exasperation in how to help some folks who just post images and sit back passively....then maybe get upset if they actually hear some well-intended C&C.

Nonsense! You are coming off as deliberately obtuse. What is so wrong with wanting - hoping - a newbie who posts a picture will be able to say, "I took this with my so & so....I like it, but I can't really say WHY I like it, ha ha. I think it's pretty sharp, but should that shadow be there across the face? I mean, is that okay or supposedly not acceptable in good photos? You can still see the guy, of course and I like the smile. What do you all think?" Or even better, "Would there be a better way to take this picture?"

The poster may not have the slightest clue about technique, but can still figure out how to ask for help.... we can all stumble through when it matters to us. Right?

Well, terri, clearly I wasn't the only one who missed it initially... So "obviously" is sort of a matter debate don't you think?

I'm also a bit baffled that you've chosen now to get involved in this discussion, and chained your fairly pointed remarks off a post where I just said "oh duh, I get it, good point".

No need to be baffled. I actually commented one or two pages ago, as well. ;) Hoping to steer this in a better direction it seemed to be going, so I was disappointed to see this tone continuing on today.

"Pointed remarks" are my specialty! :sillysmi:

terri said:
No need to be baffled. I actually commented one or two pages ago, as well. ;) Hoping to steer this in a better direction it seemed to be going, so I was disappointed to see this tone continuing on today.

"Pointed remarks" are my specialty! :sillysmi:

Ah I must have missed that. Usually when you post I dive under the desk. :p

Anyway... Yes. Op has a good point, but hard to execute. Kinda like stopping the oncoming flood... So then to continue the discussion in the positive vein, how would OP suggest this be done?

terri said:

I really have no intentions of being "deliberately obtuse" nor was I calling anyone a newbie hater. I simply don't understand why it cannot be accepted that some people have a desire to learn photography and start out knowing zip. And sure one should utilize all of their available resources to learn and better themselves. But I, for one, see this forum and others as one of those resource. And to expect a newbie to ask specific and technical questions right out of the gate, I think, is unrealistic. I just think that those that want to help should and those that don't just ignore the thread. Why all the hoopla?

Most reactions

Back