On C&C....

PhotoWrangler

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.themodernmutt.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For you beginners who are looking for C&C on photos - generically asking for C&C is like getting into a taxi cab and telling the driver to simply "go". Without directions, he doesn't know where to take you.

When you post a photo and simply state "C&C Welcome", or "Looking for C&C", the seasoned photographers have absolutely no idea where to start. They can attempt to comment on technical aspects, emotional appeal, lighting, composition, exposure etc... but unless you've specifically stated what you're looking for, they may not address your needs. In addition, when you DO NOT state a specific question(s) you may get a whole lot more than you asked for, and if you aren't prepared for it, it can sound like your work is being attacked - which is often not the case.

Everyone loves constructive criticism because that's how we improve, but if you don't lay the foundation, there is nothing for us (generally speaking) to build upon.

Get it?

I understand what you're saying, but someone looking to grow is generally not going to know where they need help. Therefore having them be more specific may inappropriately narrow the responses.

An obvious exception to this rule is anyone trying to master a particular technical element like HDR.

I think better general advice is to have a tough skin and learn to take it as it comes. Listen to all, internalize it all, clarify when you need to, ask follow up questions, don't always assume all advice given is either right or what you need... But again... Listen and accept it all.

I think better general advice is to have a tough skin....

Yeah, because that works SO well around here.

A simple google search on "proper comment and critique of a photograph" brings up a slew of articles on how they can be more specific.

I agree totally in principle, but in practice, I'm going to say, based my seven years here, "Good luck with that!"

I agree with manaheim. true beginners have no idea what they even need to improve on, and most in fact think their early photographs are very good. If they were able to ask the types of questions you are proposing to begin with, they wouldn't be true beginners.

and most in fact think their early photographs are very good.

Holy crap, isn't that the truth.
Just recently there was a faint dust-up when someone mistook the combination of natural beauty and an automatic camera for his own as yet undiscovered great talent and was angry that his talent was unrecognized.
It's like children being proud of the play-dough bowl they make in kindergardent.

and most in fact think their early photographs are very good.

Holy crap, isn't that the truth.
Just recently there was a faint dust-up when someone mistook the combination of natural beauty and an automatic camera for his own as yet undiscovered great talent and was angry that his talent was unrecognized.
It's like children being proud of the play-dough bowl they make in kindergarden.
Good analogy Lew, but those of us with more experience need to remember that like some of those children with the play-Doh bowl, they are proud of it, and there's nothing wrong with that. Our "job" is to show them how they can make an even better Play-Doh bowl and, over time, graduate to real ceramics. Of course there are always going to be a few who are convinced that there's no improving on their original work, but those we'll leave to their own devices.

ChristopherCoy said:
Yeah, because that works SO well around here.

A simple google search on "proper comment and critique of a photograph" brings up a slew of articles on how they can be more specific.

I don't know what the mild snark is for, but I'm telling you what I think based on my experience here. I imagine there's lots of good info out there on how to provide critique but I'm not sure if those articles apply to this setting- a zero entrance fee public forum?

Anyway, whatever.

Good analogy Lew, but those of us with more experience need to remember that like some of those children with the play-Doh bowl, they are proud of it, and there's nothing wrong with that. Our "job" is to show them how they can make an even better Play-Doh bowl and, over time, graduate to real ceramics. Of course there are always going to be a few who are convinced that there's no improving on their original work, but those we'll leave to their own devices.

I understand and agree.
I resist when they actually act like children, just burst into a new place, screaming for attention.
Any person new to photography who reads a bit to understand how the Forum works and acts accordingly, will get treated well, in fact coddled.

Lew

Maybe an ongoing conversation about it will make it stick in peoples minds... wishful thinking I'm sure.

We do have ongoing conversations about this. Every 4-8 weeks either a veteran member makes a thread talking about how to get CC, or a disgruntled noobie is telling us how to give it.

I predict this will be another of those heated multi-page threads, that end with no difference being made either direction.

Wash.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Maybe an ongoing conversation about it will make it stick in peoples minds... wishful thinking I'm sure.

We do have ongoing conversations about this. Every 4-8 weeks either a veteran member makes a thread talking about how to get CC, or a disgruntled noobie is telling us how to give it.

I predict this will be another of those heated multi-page threads, that end with no difference being made either direction.

Wash.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Which will make it different than 85% of the threads here because?

Most reactions

Back