What's new

Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

You're So Vain?

I had to get away from the idea it was a title.
 
You're So Vain?

I had to get away from the idea it was a title.
Yes! Sorry should have been more specific that there were elements from the lyrics, not the title of the song. I tried to avoid being too literal with all of them. It was a fun prompt and I think I will use it again sometime when I’m stuck for inspiration.

That song had been stuck in my head for days after hearing it in the car last week. I’ve been loving the 70’s on 7 channel on Sirius XM.
 
Yes! Sorry should have been more specific that there were elements from the lyrics, not the title of the song. I tried to avoid being too literal with all of them. It was a fun prompt and I think I will use it again sometime when I’m stuck for inspiration.

That song had been stuck in my head for days after hearing it in the car last week. I’ve been loving the 70’s on 7 channel on Sirius XM.
It was fun. Maybe a new theme; kind of like a previous photo challenge.

The only other thing I could think of was Bad Moon Rising.
 
This week’s abstract from class. Experimenting with layers and trying to keep the light. Not quite sure if this is finished.

IMG_6388.webp
 
This week’s abstract from class. Experimenting with layers and trying to keep the light. Not quite sure if this is finished.

View attachment 294189
I love it!

See, this is more like what I imagine a good abstract should be - shapes, color, pattern. I can't do non-representational stuff if you paid me.

The closest I come to this are some of the papers I end up with from the gel plate. Not real painting.

I like it as is. What would you add if you continued?
 
I like it as is. What would you add if you continued?
Tried out the very minor changes I’m thinking of on the photo app. Just adding some black marks to that top bright area and some pink to that left side square. Thoughts?

IMG_6388.webp
 
I really like it.
There are a few things that really catch my eyes: The dark hoisontal line near the top, the bottom-left most dark ring, the blue heart-shape, and the diagonal that runs down and left from near center. The rings remind me of cup or glass stains on tables.
 
I really like it.
There are a few things that really catch my eyes: The dark hoisontal line near the top, the bottom-left most dark ring, the blue heart-shape, and the diagonal that runs down and left from near center. The rings remind me of cup or glass stains on tables.
Thanks! I used a plastic duck sauce container from a take out order to make the circles. They do look like glass rings. I was a bit hesitant about leaving the heart shape. I didn’t want the painting to become too much about that. I painted the heart in and then painted over it then added it back several times before deciding to keep it. Then it was a matter of getting it to blend in but still be visible. I’m happy with how it turned out.
 
Thanks! I used a plastic duck sauce container from a take out order to make the circles. They do look like glass rings. I was a bit hesitant about leaving the heart shape. I didn’t want the painting to become too much about that. I painted the heart in and then painted over it then added it back several times before deciding to keep it. Then it was a matter of getting it to blend in but still be visible. I’m happy with how it turned out.
I think this is really successful! I like the heart shape, and agree with your decision to just mute it a little but have it still visible.

I love the addition of the black lines - almost like outlines, but not really.

Love this! The palette is gorgeous. Great job!
 
I think this is really successful! I like the heart shape, and agree with your decision to just mute it a little but have it still visible.

I love the addition of the black lines - almost like outlines, but not really.

Love this! The palette is gorgeous. Great job!
Thanks very much. I’m happy with the end result and it was fun to paint without much of a plan or any specific end in mind. Just kept adding and subtracting and let the painting lead me where it wanted.
 
Hiding from the Super Bowl… here’s my latest. Been working on some cityscape concepts and painting abstract figures with acrylics.

IMG_6493.webp


I call these my sketchy people. Hoping to do a combo of these two concepts but need to make the buildings more abstract/suggested vs looming. Some of these I really like, some were definitely a miss.

IMG_6503.webp
 
Some of your best, I think. I absolutely love the figures.

MLSIL recorded the game, mainly for the commercials. We ended up with the "puppy bowl" on the entire time. I mostly read and glanced up at the puppies every so often.
 
Some of your best, I think. I absolutely love the figures.

MLSIL recorded the game, mainly for the commercials. We ended up with the "puppy bowl" on the entire time. I mostly read and glanced up at the puppies every so often.
Thanks! You didn’t miss much by skipping the game. It was not as close as the 12-0 score indicated in the first half and the Pats got crushed in the second half. The QB is young and the coach is on to something so I think they’ll be back.
 
I've seen those kinds of games before.

I've been trying to get something on paper for the mural/triptych but I keep switching back and forth on themes, so that's going to back burner for a while. I'm going to put something down on paper today. It's sunny and clear, but I really don't want to go anywhere, so I'll draw.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom