What's new

Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

I've seen those kinds of games before.

I've been trying to get something on paper for the mural/triptych but I keep switching back and forth on themes, so that's going to back burner for a while. I'm going to put something down on paper today. It's sunny and clear, but I really don't want to go anywhere, so I'll draw.
What themes are you considering?
 
My first thoughts were a Welcome to Maine theme: either state symbols like blueberries, moose, etc. or iconic landmarks like Mt Katahdin, Portland Head Light and the Piscataqua River Bridge. Then I thought a panoramic landscape of our pond. Whichever way I go, it will be a longer term project - much more than my usual quick sketches.

For the current drawing I've divided the page into 6 blocks; flowers, fish or birds are my thought. I just can't get started. Maybe too many distractions ATM.
 
Hiding from the Super Bowl…
Okay I admit....I chortled at the outcome. I like watching Robert Kraft cry. 😢 But I'm mean.

Love your cityscape! You're definitely onto something fun here. I think your sketchy people are great already, nice and loose.
 
Okay I admit....I chortled at the outcome. I like watching Robert Kraft cry. 😢 But I'm mean.

Love your cityscape! You're definitely onto something fun here. I think your sketchy people are great already, nice and loose.
Thanks! I wanted to add some more details to the figures but was worried I’d over do it so I stuck to just highlights and shadows. It’s fun how you can put down some suggestive marks and your imagination fills in the rest.
 
My first thoughts were a Welcome to Maine theme: either state symbols like blueberries, moose, etc. or iconic landmarks like Mt Katahdin, Portland Head Light and the Piscataqua River Bridge. Then I thought a panoramic landscape of our pond. Whichever way I go, it will be a longer term project - much more than my usual quick sketches.
These are all great ideas! No reason to rush a decision, since it's a long-term project. Take your time deciding. It's going to be fun!
 
So, I got a little sketcjing done. I went with six of the daily challenges for February at Doodlewash. I havent decided on what to do with them, yet: watercolor, pen & ink, or maybe color pencils.

Button, stump, narwhal, clock, dragon, and sunrise.

IMG_E3205[1].webp
 
Ink and wash is my favorite watercolor technique. These are great and would look really good as watercolor with ink.
 
I'm leaning towards watercolor or even wc pencils. I'll figure it out tomorrow after PT.
 
I finished the quick pics this morning. I think I'm happiest with the narwhal and the stump.
Button and narwhal are acrylic paint pen with added graphite on edge of button; birch stump is drawing pencil (B); others are watercolor.

IMG_E3207[1].webp
 
I finished the quick pics this morning. I think I'm happiest with the narwhal and the stump.
Button and narwhal are acrylic paint pen with added graphite on edge of button; birch stump is drawing pencil (B); others are watercolor.

View attachment 294531
Nice! You definitely flexed your art muscles with all the variety. I like these pens; nice crisp lines.

What weight is your sketch book? It doesn't seem to like the watercolors!
 
I finished the quick pics this morning. I think I'm happiest with the narwhal and the stump.
Button and narwhal are acrylic paint pen with added graphite on edge of button; birch stump is drawing pencil (B); others are watercolor.

View attachment 294531
The dock is my favorite of these and I like the clock a lot too.
 
Worked on combining my figures with the. Cityscape concept in class today. Here’s the current WIP. I think the buildings seem disconnected because there’s no true dark color to balance with the darkness of the figures. I did a mock up in the photo app of what I’m thinking of adding. Would love your thoughts.

IMG_6538.webp


IMG_6538.webp
 
It looks like the sketchbook is 65 lb/98 gsm, so no surprise about thec wrinkling. Most of the things in it are charcoal and graphite. I have a couple heavier pads with removable pages forvthe wet stuff but i put some in here.

Looks good, Sharon. The reflections of the shorter set of figures look like the angles are wonky. Otherwise I think this will be real nice.
 
Looks good, Sharon. The reflections of the shorter set of figures look like the angles are wonky. Otherwise I think this will be real nice.
Good catch thanks, I’ll have to fix that.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom