What's new

Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

Well here’s a case in point of leaving well enough alone… 1 is my first draft of this one. I felt like it was a bit darker than I wanted. Art teacher suggested narrower bands of color. 2 is the second draft which I absolutely hated and felt that I had gone too far into primary colors and had lost all luminosity. Instructor suggested lightening by adding highlights to give it a glow. 3 is current version which I feel like I may have taken it too far into the other direction. But I do like the stained glass look of it even though of these 3, I prefer the original! Note this was not an original idea - it’s a loose interpretation of a digital image I saw online.
1
IMG_6563.webp


2
IMG_6524.webp


3
IMG_6561.webp
 
Not quite sure where I’m going with this one. I went too far with the texture and circles and now it’s a bit too busy. Added the orange for some drama and contrast which I’m liking a lot. I covered up most of two of the circles that were bothering me with more modeling paste and blended them in a bit then I reoriented it to portrait style but still not quite feeling it. Thinking of extending that light area at the top a bit further across and then down towards center. Would love some input on what’s not working. Is it the colors or the texture or something else? More darks?

IMG_6598.webp


IMG_6607.webp
 
Would love some input on what’s not working. Is it the colors or the texture or something else? More darks?
I like the revision a lot as is!!!! May I suggest you just set it aside, cover it up, and leave it for a few days, then revisit. Sometimes it's good to just do a mind reset.
 
I'm thinking a lighter orange, almost a peach, at top right or bottom left (not both). Bottom could overlap a circle. Not necessarily orange circles but some shape.

IMG_0051.webp
 
I like the revision a lot as is!!!! May I suggest you just set it aside, cover it up, and leave it for a few days, then revisit. Sometimes it's good to just do a mind reset.
Thats a good idea, thanks! I tend to rush and then over correct - I need to work on that.
I'm thinking a lighter orange, almost a peach, at top right or bottom left (not both). Bottom could overlap a circle. Not necessarily orange circles but some shape.

View attachment 294733
Thanks for the suggestion - not sure how I feel about adding another color. I don’t want to distract from the impact of the orange and blue contrast. Maybe I’ll try it in the photo app and see how it looks.
 
Well here’s a case in point of leaving well enough alone… 1 is my first draft of this one. I felt like it was a bit darker than I wanted. Art teacher suggested narrower bands of color. 2 is the second draft which I absolutely hated and felt that I had gone too far into primary colors and had lost all luminosity. Instructor suggested lightening by adding highlights to give it a glow. 3 is current version which I feel like I may have taken it too far into the other direction. But I do like the stained glass look of it even though of these 3, I prefer the original! Note this was not an original idea - it’s a loose interpretation of a digital image I saw online.
1
View attachment 294611

2
View attachment 294612

3
View attachment 294613
So interesting! I know your instructor is encouraging you to not fear revisions, but I like your original bursts of color, too. Let it be loose and wild.
Maybe your instructor might prefer more structure, as the suggestions all led you away from your original effort.

I don't mind the final one at all - it does look like stained glass - but dulled down a bit.

My two cents. :)
 
Thats a good idea, thanks! I tend to rush and then over correct - I need to work on that.

Thanks for the suggestion - not sure how I feel about adding another color. I don’t want to distract from the impact of the orange and blue contrast. Maybe I’ll try it in the photo app and see how it looks.
I think Charlie's idea will add balance to the composition, and using the lighter color wouldn't detract from the bold orange.

Still, I kinda like it the way you left it - very bold abstract of shape and complementary colors.
 
I think this is close to finished. I connected the two orange waves. I may tone down the two hot spots near the top - I wanted the eye to move but it’s not working for me. I did try Charlie’s peach suggestion but it pulled too much attention. I want the focal point to be the orange. Any suggestions on how to highlight it a bit more? Actual highlights? Some type of vignette? More light colors through the center?

IMG_6673_jpg.webp
 
I think this is close to finished. I connected the two orange waves. I may tone down the two hot spots near the top - I wanted the eye to move but it’s not working for me. I did try Charlie’s peach suggestion but it pulled too much attention. I want the focal point to be the orange. Any suggestions on how to highlight it a bit more? Actual highlights? Some type of vignette? More light colors through the center?

View attachment 294878
You mean, you want to highlight the orange a bit more? If so, there are things to try. A few dashes of your bright white could help. Also, if you have a lighter hue of the same orange, you could add a few dashes on the darker parts.

I don’t think this painting needs a vignette - but you could give it a play just to see.

I like this one a lot - good job with your abstract!
 
You mean, you want to highlight the orange a bit more? If so, there are things to try. A few dashes of your bright white could help. Also, if you have a lighter hue of the same orange, you could add a few dashes on the darker parts.

I don’t think this painting needs a vignette - but you could give it a play just to see.

I like this one a lot - good job with your abstract!
Thanks. I appreciate your input. I have some gold and copper leaf that I’ve been wanting to try. Maybe the copper? Lightly splattered along the orange? I’ll have to do a test piece since I’ve never used it before.
 
As terri said, a lighter shade of the orannge, what I was refering to as "peach" mixed in with the orange you have. I was thiking that the lighter shade was closer to complimentary of the light blue. Justa bit around the orange, maybe.

Leaf could be interesting, too.
 
Thanks. I appreciate your input. I have some gold and copper leaf that I’ve been wanting to try. Maybe the copper? Lightly splattered along the orange? I’ll have to do a test piece since I’ve never used it before.
I love this idea! When you say "leaf," do you mean these are metallic paints? I have an Amsterdam brand gold acrylic and it goes on a little darker than expected.

I have metallic inks, too, from Speedball. I haven't worked with actual leaf - not really sure what it is. :lol:

Will be interested in seeing how the tests go!
 
I love this idea! When you say "leaf," do you mean these are metallic paints? I have an Amsterdam brand gold acrylic and it goes on a little darker than expected.

I have metallic inks, too, from Speedball. I haven't worked with actual leaf - not really sure what it is. :lol:

Will be interested in seeing how the tests go!
It’s the sheets of super thin metallic paper that you apply by placing glue where you want the metallic to be and then brush off the excess.

We’re snowed in and I’m bored so I’m going to give it a try today. Couldn’t find a good example online but this pic is sort of the results I would want. Just a bit less of it. I probably should have done the copper instead of the orange but will try to work with what I have so far.


IMG_6687.webp
 
It’s the sheets of super thin metallic paper that you apply by placing glue where you want the metallic to be and then brush off the excess.

We’re snowed in and I’m bored so I’m going to give it a try today. Couldn’t find a good example online but this pic is sort of the results I would want. Just a bit less of it. I probably should have done the copper instead of the orange but will try to work with what I have so far.


View attachment 294920
Ah, okay so it's actual sheets of the stuff. I think it's a great idea!

I'm also curious about it now and wondering if I could work with it somehow.
 
Ah, okay so it's actual sheets of the stuff. I think it's a great idea!

I'm also curious about it now and wondering if I could work with it somehow.

I got gold, silver and copper sheets when they were having a sale at Michael’s and I had a gift card to use up. Didn’t get to it today but maybe tonight. Princess and my brother got the driveway and walkways cleared. My back is better but still not great. I have high hopes to wake up pain free tomorrow morning.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom