Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

@terri , thanks! Yes, it is graphite. A #2 staples pencil, LOL. I do use charcoal! But haven’t in some time. Charcoal isn’t as forgiving haha.

End result is similar. Changed a bit around, including her nose and shoulder (nose was too narrow and shoulder was too wide). Changed some of the shading, especially on the face and hair. I wanted to reduce the eyes a bit and touch up her hand/fingers, but I didn’t want to do that much rework.

C5F34C69-A84D-4DD9-8D39-D69F9ACF4B85.jpeg

Nice work! Good highlights on the hair - subtle, but realistic. Also impressive is all that detail on the clothing, and the hand posture looks great.

Yeah, I have some charcoal pencils but they're not easily erased like my graphite set. This is why I tend to avoid sketching, I'm too lazy to really get into it like this. :lol: Be happy with this one!

Nice work! Good highlights on the hair - subtle, but realistic. Also impressive is all that detail on the clothing, and the hand posture looks great.

Yeah, I have some charcoal pencils but they're not easily erased like my graphite set. This is why I tend to avoid sketching, I'm too lazy to really get into it like this. :lol: Be happy with this one!
Thanks Terri! I have a charcoal set, too, and I’m not the cleanest artist LOL. I agree, I’m pretty lazy to do it as well haha

I’ve been working on this for a while. I wish I had taken some WIP photos. Inspiration was a photo on Instagram. I changed the colors to suit myself with thoughts of maybe taking a photo of it and printing it on a large canvas if I like it. I recently painted my living room and I have a huge space over my fireplace that needs filling. I prefer abstract and floral art on my living room and dining room walls to photos.

I’m pretty happy with how this turned out but wish it had more depth. I want to add some darker colors in the background on the lower half but I don’t want to ruin it. Also I wish I hadn’t used the white gel pen on those purple flowers bottom left. I may edit that out before having it printed. Is it wrong to print a painting? Should I just buy a large canvas and paint it? I would have to do this in acrylics then I’d think. I’ve seen smaller watercolor canvases but from what I’ve read, the colors don’t act the same. Has anyone ever used one?

B16D6D3D-7F9C-47F9-9775-75FA490DEA99.jpeg

I think both are fine - the missed WB works.

I agree with Charlie, they both work. I’ve been in a mood lately with bright colors, so I’m actually partial to the missed WB. My wife likes the second one better.

I think both are fine - the missed WB works.

I agree with Charlie, they both work. I’ve been in a mood lately with bright colors, so I’m actually partial to the missed WB. My wife likes the second one better.

‘The top is actually a very Very light yellow wash which may be throwing the auto wb off. The top Photo was in natural light. I’ll have to get a good photo if I’m going to print it. Still undecided.

I like each photo, but love the second one's colors better - glad to know it's a truer shot of the painting. Beautiful palette!

I've run the gamut of trying various ways to photograph paintings. I have a copy stand, but it's become too tedious using slide film - inconsistent results from labs, plus cost. Considering a used/cheap digital camera and 50mm lens. Again, costs.

Likely stick with my phone camera and small gimp edits as needed. It's usually a good result.

Sigh.

The only painting I have been doing involves walls and rollers and trays and edging tools and many many trips to Home Depot. I don't mind painting and think it can be a lot of fun at times...but the entire house? Basically by myself? Sooooooooooo tired :disgust:

The master bedroom needs one more coat, and the bulk of it is done. I will wait until I move in to do the bathroom. Then, one day, I will be ready to practice my fun painting again!

Moving is fun! :icon_cheers:

Especially when it's over. Looking forward to seeing you playing with your paints again, Leo.

I like painting rooms, too, really. It's very rewarding. But dang, by the end of the projects, you do start getting tired and ready to clean it all up and get the furniture back together. Hang in there, girl.

Tried to paint a photo someone posted in my Milky Way chasers Facebook group. I still can't get the sky quite dark enough and I feel like I rushed this. I'm starting to worry that I don't really have the patience for any type of really detailed art. Is that something that comes with time?

FC5957DE-D893-4629-9D9E-63198139C321_1_105_c.jpeg

5 minute sketch while I’m waiting to see the eye doctor.

The awaiting Room. Pencil, 5.5” x 8.5”.
0ED1C756-612F-4098-9F73-AAAD6C874B35.jpeg

Charlie, that's a very good 5-minute sketch. I've come across many articles on drawing that encourage this exact kind of exercise, to make you less concerned with detail and more concerned with place and feel. You nailed this!

And hopefully, your eyes aren't so dilated from the doctor that you can't read this. :icon_mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back