Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

These are beautiful! I'd say your buildup was very successful here, especially with the top daylily. I love me some black-eyed Susans, too. Love that subtle little wash of blue around it. Very nice!

Here's another fairly recent one.

Floating cats 1.jpg

Just playin'. I was originally thinking the woman would be blowing off flower petals, but realized cats would be so much better. :icon_mrgreen:

Here's another fairly recent one.

View attachment 185481

Just playin'. I was originally thinking the woman would be blowing off flower petals, but realized cats would be so much better. :icon_mrgreen:
KITTEHS!!!

Practice - The Flatirons, 2020, 12" x 9"

View attachment 185062
HEY! You coloured outside the lines!!!!

:p
That's always been a problem of mine. ;)

These are beautiful! I'd say your buildup was very successful here, especially with the top daylily. I love me some black-eyed Susans, too. Love that subtle little wash of blue around it. Very nice!
Thank you. Those were at the entrance to our apartments.

Oh, I also meant to comment that the pencil lines you mentioned don't bother me at all. I think they give a subtle bit of outline, which I like. There's only one I'm seeing on the Susans that's going a bit horizontally.

I think flowers (and landscapes in general) are my favorite subjects in watercolor. :boogie:

This is one I did a couple months back. I was in a sunset frame of mind, and felt like messing with oranges and blues. Orange over blue is more approachable than yellow over blue (green sky!). ;) I used Mungyo Gallery and Neopastel oil pastels. Ended up with a somewhat superimposed kind of look to it, I think. But good sunset practice.

sunset WC pic.jpg

Here's one I did awhile back. I had a ref photo for this one that didn't give any credits, so I feel compelled to mention this composition is not an original from me. Still, I enjoyed painting this and throwing all those white streaks on it.

cityscape.jpg

The watercolor of the Flatirons is gorgeous! Lovely palette, too I like those soft browns in the foreground.

Look at you, with the oil pastels!! :icon_cheers: Fun sketch of Zoe, too. What kind of paper is that? It's always annoyed me that so-called "pastel paper" has so much texture that they're practically divets that take several layers of OP if you want a smooth look like a watercolor. But I sure like that tone for the sketch. What brand OP are those?
Sorry, I missed this one.
Thanks - the proportions are a bit off, but it is practice. I used a sheet of Canson Mi-tientes pastel paper (98 lb/160 gm)- pretty much a tinted cold-pressed watercolor paper. The pastels are Loew Cornell student quality. I've had them in the drawer for a while.

I LOVE the sunset - beautiful colors, and I like the way you did the sky in the Cityscape. If you get a chance, check out morgueFile for reference photos - it's the "other site" I mention occasionally.

I'll post today's figure drawings in a separate thread because of the nsfw-ish-ness.

Maybe I should add "NSFW" in the title of this thread, so we can post whatever we're working on without having to open new threads? I'm good either way.
Edit: feel free to change that if you'd like, Charlie!

Thanks for the kind words! :) I'm glad to check out any site for ref photos. I'm always happiest when I have an actual idea for a painting, but sometimes a good ref photo gives me an offshoot idea.

I've used the mi-teintes before. It's a good paper for OP's, though the textured surface can be challenging if you're impatient. :biggrinangelA: I hope you keep playing with them!

Is this just for watercolor and pastels? What about pen/ink drawings?

Sure. I already have one for ink (mainly fountain pens) but we can just combine things here.

@terri i: I started to add the NSFW in the title, but in the first post I said for others to keep it SFW, so I'd just keep them separate. I placed a link to the other thread.

Last edited:
It’s been a while for me. I’d like to get back into it, so I’m easing into it with some pen drawings.

My wife found this monthly challenge, where you do a topic a day. That’s a bit too much to start, so I’m doing what I can at my own pace.

Here is the first one: dessert.

I'm envious @waday, thank you for sharing these - looking forward to more.

I find that I don't have near enough time to draw, or photograph, every day. I'm trying to get something every couple of weeks.

Here's some student work. I had to do the same still life using multiple methods; all are india ink, 9"x12", 2007.

Ink wash on graphite drawing.
DSC_3103.jpg

Ink wash with pen & ink overdrawn outline
DSC_3104.jpg

Ink wash
DSC_3105.jpg

Wet-on-wet pen & ink
DSC_3106.jpg

Most reactions

Back