Photographing Dogs on Surfboards

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So this weekend, I will photograph dog surfers. I'm planning to use monolight. Would I be concern about my gear getting damaged from sand and water? Will a little splash on the front element of a lens is okay or put on a protective filter is better?

Last edited:
Nah just make sure you dip your rag in a little beach sand first, because seawater is a little difficult to get off.:lol:

Keep ALL saltwater AWAY from lenses and cameras and flash units...sea water is exceptionally BAD for electronics, as well as for many mechanical devices. Be prepared when you go.

The waterproof housing is crazy expensive. I recently bought a telephone lens. I probably stand a far away from the shore. Can wait to try it out.

The waterproof housing is crazy expensive. I recently bought a telephone lens. I probably stand a far away from the shore. Can wait to try it out.
Is the waterproof housing more expensive that a replacement camera and lens?

I just shot some surfers (daylight though). I didn't have any protective pieces and was up to my knees in the water. Where I was this was my acceptable risk level and I was 90% sure nothing was going to get wet and even if I fell the water was shallow enough I could keep the camera and lens out of the water.

Use common sense. Don't put yourself in a situation where you're likely to get your gear wet. Nothing is fool proof but try to keep the chances down.
If you think there is a decent chance of getting the front element of the lens wet (spray etc.) then yes use a filter.

Good luck and hope to see some cool shots.

Is the waterproof housing more expensive that a replacement camera and lens?

Hmmmm.... there is no housing for telephoto lens.

I'd go with a long enough telephoto lens to not have to get so close to the water.

But I'm wondering more about dogs surfing, how do dogs balance on a surfboard??

But I'm wondering more about dogs surfing, how do dogs balance on a surfboard??
I imagine the same way as how they balance on a skateboard. :p

giphy.gif

I've been shooting at the beach for decades with no waterproof housing. Just don't drop the equipment onto the sand or into the water and you should be fine. That a dry towel for the odd splash. Shooting from a pier is high and dry. Be careful not to change lenses when the wind is strong enough to whip up the sand and spray the water.

First, I don't expect the dogs go too far out. Then back up from the water with a long lens, crop image if necessary. I have a 400 mm with a 1.7 tc and it is 680mm. With 46 megapixels I can crop the hell out of it. No need to go in the water. You may have difficulty communicating but it beats communicating with your camera manufacturer repair group.

Most reactions

Back