photographing people

adelbrecht10

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I always think people look different in pictures than the way I see them in real life, especially if the pictures are taken up close. Does this have anything to do with the camera?

the camera takes in whatever light goes through the lens and imprints it to the film... the reason why you probably think you look different is because you have never seen yourself frozen in that certain way on a picture. ..

at least..thats what i think..

The reason you probably think people look different in closeups is because of the lens.

Wide-angle and even normal focal-length lenses tend to distort faces in close-up portraits. The nose will be too big/long, the face will be oddly shaped, and often the body slightly smaller than it should be and out of proportion.

Most P&S 35mm cameras have wide-angle lenses. You really need at least an 80mm lens for 35mm camera to get natural looking portraits. Many pros use 100,135 or even 200mm lenses for portraiture.

Speaking of distortion, do flat mirrors also distort based on the way they reflect light? That is, if you look at yourself in the mirror is there any distortion in the image relative to what someone else would see?

I think if the mirror is good quality and flat then it shouldn't cause any distortion. At least, ours doesn't seem to. My wife looks the same in our mirror (except reversed, of course).

You may also have a problem because they 'Pose'.
This is annoying, because it looks fake, try smiling when your pissed of and you get this evil like smile :p.

Try any of these.
Take the pic just when they are about to smile, apparently it gives you a nice relaxed smile.

Take a second pic right after.
I mean take another pic in like the next second, everyone should be natural then.

Dont let them kno when your taking the pic.
Try to make them think when your taking it and then take it later...e.g. 1, 2, 3, then take the picture on 4 or 5 :p.

Take the pic on from your waist.
This will catch people of guard, as long as you have the camera aimd properly should be ok :)

Most reactions

Back