Photographing Sunsets

rjackjames

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I plan to visit the Caribbean soon. I want to take pictures of the beautiful sunsets.

What camera mode should I use? AV,TV,M

What type of metering? ie Spot, Evaluative, Partial or center-weighted!!

What AF mode? ie One Shot, AI focus, AI servo!!

I appreciate the help!!

Usually on sunset photographs... you should use or Manual or Tv mode, because its essential to control you shutter speed, not your aperture size ( which only can give you a DOF which you don't need in sunsets).

Try metering for the sky, and maybe you will want to underexpose a little to get those beautiful colors of the sky :)

I think you will need a tripod as well.

Good luck shooting your sunsets :)

I just use P (programmed auto).. not sure what the equivalent is on Canon, but it's basically auto aperture and shutter. I make sure auto-ISO is off and use the lowest possible ISO to avoid noise. The main trick is playing with the exposure compensation, -1 to -2 will give great colours. Also don't forget the sunrise, it can look a lot different than the sunset! Oh, and make sure the horizon is straight! :)

Thanks Khronos...I ordered a tripod and I cannot wait for it to arrive

Ok, i'll be tottaly honest here. I wouldn't expect someone with your equipment to be asking such a question. Reading this post and then your sig, you have a good few thousand $$ worth of equipment there and you are asking how to photograph the simplest of subjects. However, enjoy what you have, and work to improve your technical knowledge to take even better photos. Great shots from Afghanistan btw (i had to check ;)).

Again in all honesty, leave everything to auto, compose, and you will take great shots. I have never seen a camera, film or digital, that won't expose sunsets properly, unless you deliberately spot meter the sun.

Metering, use evaluative for easy results (that's the zone metering for Canons, right?) or spot if you want to achieve a specific exposure. Also use exposure compensation if you need to.

If you want to photograph something that moves, including waves, trees in the wind etc, use shutter mode to freeze or blur motion. If you take pictures of objects or people with the sunset as the background, use aperture mode to control depth of field. If you want to finely adjust exposure and control everything to get the picture you want, use manual mode.

@Tasmaster.....I dont practise much sunset shots here since I am here in afghanistan....Thanks for the compliment on the on my afghan pictures....I try to take as much as I can.
I think I over did when I bought my first DLSR and lens....Thanks for the advice and I am sure to use them.

Overdid it... maybe slightly ;). But if you can afford all that and you won't be dropping the hobby after a few months, why not! As i am sure you will discover, sunsets aren't tricky at all, start simple and you'll see. Good luck!

@Tasmaster.....I have no plan to drop this hobby....I hope to get some great shots and I post a few on my flickr page.

Do u recommend filters?

You may want to consider adding a blue 82A, 82B or 82C (Cokin Nos. 023, 024 & 025) to your camera bag as well. Should you wish to turn from the actual sunset to your surroundings they will come in handy to correct the color from the orange light striking objects during a sunset.

Any of them will help return things like sandy beaches, mountains, monuments, buildings, etc. to their natural color rather than the orange bathed colors present during a sunset.

Those filters will do the same job during a sunrise as well. Additionally, a well chosen graduated filter or two might also be a nice addition to your camera bag as well.

Good luck and good shooting, amigo!

I have a ND X8 filter from Hoya....which I plan to use.

I second the graduated filter suggestion, and also recommend a polarizer, they are always useful, sunset or not.

Ok, i'll be tottaly honest here. I wouldn't expect someone with your equipment to be asking such a question.

Your expectations are not realistic. $$ does not an all knowing photographer make (my Yoda impersonation for the day... lol).

I watched someone that plunked down $16,000 in one shot on a Nikon D3, multiple stobes and lenses and then asked the guy how to install the battery into the camera. ;)

If I had mentioned ISO or aperture, I think their head would have exploded.

Anyways, for sunsets AND for someone that has invested in equipment... its time to invest a little in your self edification... use MANUAL (what's with this TV mode stuff... no camera has a television built into it... :confused: :lol: )

For people who are a little "offended" by his gear i want to say something.. you don't know the guy. Because maybe he has money to spend and likes photographs,
or maybe he has won the lottery, i think that i would`ve done the same thing if i had a boat load of money.

He asked for help, i dont see what is wrong that if he had that equipment he should`ve known all the things about photography.

Its like you say that only a RACER can buy a FERRARI, because he knows how to drive.

Anyone can spend as much money as he wants on a hobby, so people.. stop judging.

ON TOPIC: as Tasmaster said, you should buy a polarizer too, it can be quite handy :p

Its like you say that only a RACER can buy a FERRARI, because he knows how to drive.

Not judging... but that Ferrari driver is not going to be worthy of his car if he cannot get it out of 1st gear... lol

I was in the SAME boat last July when I get the D200. It was my first dSLR and I had very few of the basics clear in my head. I'm better now, and think that I have "earned" my D200... lol

As far as sunset shots, one has many options:

- meter for the sky, get nice silhouettes.
- meter for the subject, get a blown-out sky and well exposed subjects
- meter for the sky, add an off camera fill flash and get BOTH subject and sky properly exposed.

For people who are a little "offended" by his gear i want to say something.. you don't know the guy. Because maybe he has money to spend and likes photographs,
or maybe he has won the lottery, i think that i would`ve done the same thing if i had a boat load of money.

Offended?? How can you be offended by someone else's gear? Then again, see my sig :mrgreen:.

To avoid any misunderstandings, i posted that because usually the people that spend lots of money on lots of pro gear are those who have been doing this for a while and know way beyond the basics. Especially a mid (?) level SLR with loads of pro glass is usually indicative of a hobbyist photographer who has progressed and upgraded his gear.

Anyway, i said i found it weird, unusual, nothing more, nothing less.

PS: Lamborghini - end of story!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back