Photography Pricing?

smalls

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im looking to get some opinions on what to charge for a dance recital. I usually do automotive photography. I feel its about how I value my time but I want to be fair too. My plan is to take as many pics as possible and then burn a disk so the parent can do what she wants with them. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Let me get this straight: Your business name is Psycho Photography and you're going to take a ton of pictures of dancing little girls and try and sell those images to the little girls moms. Ok.

You price your services based on your CODB, Cost Of Doing Business.

If your photography business expenses are $20,000 a year and you expect to shoot 100 days a year your CODB is $20,000 divided by 100 or $200 per shooting day or about $25.00 per hour. I'm just picking numbers out of the air here for illustrative purposes. Insert your numbers.

I figure for every hour I shoot I actually do 3 hours worth of pre/post shoot work. So I'd be looking to make at least $75.00 per hour up front. Any disc sales would be gravy. Add a use license to the discs.

Warning. You are getting into a pretty specialized niche of photography here. The parents will have very specific expectations about what your images should look like.

I would make having a pre-shoot consultation with the recital organizers a
very high priority.

Thanks for your input. This is a first for me (I was asked by a friend thats daughter is dancing) as I said I usually do automotive photography, Psycho Photography was intended for the automotive world. If this gets to be something I do on a regular basis, I dont think it will be, I will come up with a different name.

Thanks for the parent warning!

Are you trying to make a living from your photography? Are you trying to just cover the cost of your new gear every 18 months? Are you just trying to make enough money to get dinner and movie this weekend? A round of golf?

The answer to those questions, your experience, your talent, your ability to market, your tax bracket, etc. etc. etc. should all go into the question of pricing. Plus, the other important question of how much your time is worth to you.

Charge for your time. X per hour you have to spend working, plus the costs of giving them the final product.
clear.gif

Most reactions

Back