footballfan993

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tylerwarnecke.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I have just learned that Santa (who is very much a real person!) is coming to my local Kwik Trip store in Stevens Point, WI. And I was wondering if I could as my boss, at Kwik Trip if I could take picture of the kids with Santa. I am pretty new to photography, and I haven't really taken many pictures of people. But I think that this would be a great practice experience. I would most likely be doing this for free. Kwik Trip is a convenience store, that uses florescent lighting, for those of you that are not familiar with it.

The equipment that I have are a Canon EOS Rebel T5, a Canon EF lens 50mm 1:1.8, and a Canon Zoom Lens Ef-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 lens that I would be using for this shoot, if I do do it. I do also have a 5 in 1 reflector set.

Is there anything that I should get for this, and how would it be possible to print photos right on-site? If it helps, I do have a Macbook Pro, if I need a computer at all.

Should I get any other equipment? And How could I use my camera with a soft box, and how do you set up a wireless transmitter that's comparable with my camera? How much money do you think I should set aside for purchasing new equipment? I am a college student, but I do have a few credit cards, but money is still pretty tight. Also, what's a good way to get parents to sign a release for quickly, or in rapid succession, as there may be a lot of parents/children there?

Let me know your ideas/thoughts. And as always, Thank you!! :)

This may be a challenge without some supplemental lighting; a speedlight would the absolute minimum, and ideally, a studio monolight with a reasonably large softbox. To be completely honest, based on your questions, your limited budget and circumstances, I would suggest filing this in the 'not a good idea right now category'. I assume you don't have any sort of business liability insurance; what would you do if someone got hurt? Would the store step up?

Yeah, is this for you, or is it for the store? Who is paying Santa? Instead of asking for the parent's releases, why aren't you asking them for a cash payment? Is there something else that is missing here?

I actually haven't really thought about who this is for, I'd say that this is more for me, and an attempt to practice my photography, and I believe that my store is paying Santa. And the reason why I would not be asking the parents for a payment, is that because I am still new to photography, and wouldn't consider myself a pro, and I would mainly be using this experience as a learning and networking opportunity.

I don't know how this would work at a retail business... seems like you'd basically be conducting business in their place of business. At an event that's for example done by a charity you would have options to donate your time, worth thru the sponsoring organization, etc. I don't know how this would work, wouldn't you need permission from like, corporate HQ or something?? Who's responsible when people come in for pictures, let the kids run around the store, then don't buy anything... lol and on and on.

Seems like you could find a better opportunity to get started with something like this down the road. And you'll have to know what you're doing before you get into selling prints, etc. I would NOT buy equipment to do this, I can't see how it would be worth it.

I actually haven't really thought about who this is for, I'd say that this is more for me, and an attempt to practice my photography, and I believe that my store is paying Santa. And the reason why I would not be asking the parents for a payment, is that because I am still new to photography, and wouldn't consider myself a pro, and I would mainly be using this experience as a learning and networking opportunity.

I would also recommend not doing this for store customers. Now if you were just taking one pic for your child or a friend's child then I would suggest using the 50mm 1.8

Most reactions

Back