Poll: Hot Shoe Cover - Do you have/use one?

Do you use a hot shoe cover?

• Yes

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I don't know what you're talking about.

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I noticed my D40, D60, D80 and D90 all came with a hot shoe cover, my D200 did not.

Is it necessary? Do you use one?

Here's what I'm talking about:
BS-1-01.JPG

I don't though I should start using it after I busted my head open the other day when I was taking my camera strap from around my neck.

I lifted the camera up quickly (d700 w/70-200 2.8) to get the strap off and BAM! corner of the metal hotshoe post got me. My wife cleaned off my camera while I was tending to myself, I think she pulled a tiny little piece of skin off the corner.

I don't though I should start using it after I busted my head open the other day when I was taking my camera strap from around my neck.

I lifted the camera up quickly (d700 w/70-200 2.8) to get the strap off and BAM! corner of the metal hotshoe post got me. My wife cleaned off my camera while I was tending to myself, I think she pulled a tiny little piece of skin off the corner.

Ouch.

I have never used one and never had any issues with dirt or debris in the hot shoe... but after hearing that i may start :confused:

That little piece of plastic will not act as a bumper. You can still take a chunk out of your noggin, especially with that rig dizzyg44 used.... a fair amount of weight.

I will slap on a flash in a minute and trying to keep up with that cover is a PITA.

Are you sure that is a hot-shoe cover?

My Canon came with something similar attached to the strap. It's a viewfinder cover, and it's used to cover the viewfinder when you are shooting on a tripod (when your eye is not up against the viewfinder during the exposure) and is to prevent stray light entering through the viewfinder and affecting the exposure.

Yeah, I'm sure - all of mine (except the D200) came with both as well.

Viewfinder cover:
37326.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I use one. Fact is I took the one off my D80 and, put it on my D300 before I sold it. I like to keep the dust off of the contacts.

That little piece of plastic will not act as a bumper. You can still take a chunk out of your noggin, especially with that rig dizzyg44 used.... a fair amount of weight.

I will slap on a flash in a minute and trying to keep up with that cover is a PITA.

No doubt that the little cover wouldn't have prevented it, but probably would've done just a little bit less damage to me as the cover fills the sides better.

It was more embarrassment than pain though :meh: It did stun me though for a few seconds since it was such a hard hit and caught me off guard.

Are you sure that is a hot-shoe cover?

My Canon came with something similar attached to the strap. It's a viewfinder cover, and it's used to cover the viewfinder when you are shooting on a tripod (when your eye is not up against the viewfinder during the exposure) and is to prevent stray light entering through the viewfinder and affecting the exposure.

The hot shoe cover that came with the Canon EF did double duty as the hotshoe cover and eyepeice cover. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back