Pot calling Kettle....."Hello?"

Most of the mods & members here are pretty good about being very helpful to 'newbies'...but it can be trying when a question is asked for the 1000th time. Also, the answers to about 80% of the questions that get asked, can be found by searching the forum, or failing that...Google will turn up answers to just about anything. It's especially frustrating when it's clear that someone has not even tried to find the answer themselves.

No one asked that the mods be the model for answering all questions. Matt owes this poster a huge apology IMO.

Elsapet, where in the world are you seeing all these bad guys you keep going on about? I keep looking around, even looked behind some of the posts and under the carpets and other than one guy I've seen that went a bit off the handle over nothing, I'm just not seeing what you are talking about. If I was a newbie reading the couple of threads you have been posting on about how bad the attitudes on here were, I might just decide the place wasn't worth getting to know.

I guess if you kick enough rocks, there are bound to be a few bugs come scurring out... but I've just never found it productive to keep kicking the rocks... all it does is create sore toes.

Just an observation.

Mike

Man, in the forum index, this thread appears as just "Pot calling..."

can certainly say I thought it was about something else.

can certainly say I came running because of it.

Um.

Anyway...

Man, in the forum index, this thread appears as just "Pot calling..."

can't say I thought it was about something else.

can certainly say I came running because of it.

Um.

Anyway...
:lol: I like your humor!

haha and your post made me realize a grammatical error. We all win!

if some of the mods dont like answering 'newbie' questions and tell them that the answer can be found by just looking at the forums or google it and it can be found, why on earth do u accept new members in. why dont all of you moaners that dont like to help go away and start your own forum.:lmao:

I'm an 'old timer' here. Not from 2003 but pretty darn close. ;) I pop in here and there to check up on old friends, say hi and give or get a bit of advice or feedback. There are so many new faces here and that's a good thing. However in the little bit of time that I do have to check in here, I too have noticed a bit of snipping. Example... There's a thread in the Business district about HDR. Now I'm a working photographer and an admin on a professional photographer's forum (and a former moderator here) so I'd like to think that I'm pretty up on things. Apparently not so much as I had to ask what HDR is. The response one member posted took far longer to prod me off to Google for a search than it would have taken to simply type the literal three word answer - High Dynamic Range.

I totally understand some members not wanting to spoon feed others. Personally, I like helping out the newbies - I was one myself at one time and was always incredibly grateful for the help I received from 'old timers' in the industry.

I learned a valuable lesson growing up... my parents always said; If you don't have anything nice to say, keep it to yourself. Perhaps TPF would be a better place if people could just step away from the keyboard when they feel that snippy edge coming on. :playball:

if some of the mods dont like answering 'newbie' questions and tell them that the answer can be found by just looking at the forums or google it and it can be found, why on earth do u accept new members in. why dont all of you moaners that dont like to help go away and start your own forum.:lmao:

Who of the MODS has shown to you personally they don't like to answer newbie questions, I wonder? Of the MODS, not of the members. I really would like to know.

Everyone here should think and think again before they lash out with whatever they say. Everyone. Long-standing members, older members (agewise), very young members, newbie members, mods ... just everyone.

And depending on the theme of the discussion going on it might be witty to post a very spontaneous reply (the Off Topics and some of the threads going on there spring to mind), or it might be wiser to stop and think first.

In general...

being superior, doesn't help any of us

It works for me :mrgreen:

PS As an ex-teacher of Photography I would say that if you truly want to help people and 'teach' them then you have to develop patience. If they don't understand something it is probably not their fault. Manuals and books are written by people who know what they mean so they assume the reader does, and this can make things obscure. If you explain something and the person doesn't comprehend then you are at fault for not pitching it in a way they can comprehend. Explain a different way.
Bottom line: If you truly want to help people then learn patience and perseverance. You probnably didn't find it that easy when you were learning so why should anyone else?
Oh, and keep the ego indoors ;)

PS As an ex-teacher of Photography I would say that if you truly want to help people and 'teach' them then you have to develop patience. If they don't understand something it is probably not their fault. Manuals and books are written by people who know what they mean so they assume the reader does, and this can make things obscure. If you explain something and the person doesn't comprehend then you are at fault for not pitching it in a way they can comprehend. Explain a different way.
Bottom line: If you truly want to help people then learn patience and perseverance. You probnably didn't find it that easy when you were learning so why should anyone else?

I'm not sure I quite understand what you're saying, could you explain it for me again? :lmao:

Um....yeah...I fell into one of those reasently :banghead: It applies to noobies too.
Elsapet, where in the world are you seeing all these bad guys you keep going on about? I keep looking around, even looked behind some of the posts and under the carpets and other than one guy I've seen that went a bit off the handle over nothing, I'm just not seeing what you are talking about.

I don't to be rude about it but here is a perfect example:
http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94720

Yes, I did literally call the user ignorant and arrogant and I will have nothing more to do with this individual as they obviously believe they are already superior. When a new user comes onto a forum thinking they already know the rules and then show blatantly they don't, some one has to step forward and let them know that before it gets out of hand. When it happens they respond with a childish "you're not the boss of me, GTFO", That is one of the few major pet-peeves of mine, There is no such thing as automatic respect no mater where you are or what you are. You show respect if you expect to get respect there, is no other way. I no doubt lost some of what little respect I have earned here with that little outburst, but that is OK, I know my place and I stepped out of it and it's what I get. That is all there is to it.
*EDIT* in hind sight I was incorrect as most forums I visit "forum leaders are set how I mentioned" *END EDIT*

Elsaspet makes the argument to quit being stupid and/or nasty, witch, sadly will inevitably be lost, and I honestly believe she knows that. This is the internet there will always be the stupids and the smarts, there is no way around it. The argument serves to bring it to the attention of the users, be they bullies who need to hold there tongue a little better when a pet-peeve is breached or noobies who could show a little more effort. This attention makes users think of the options at hand when dealing with one or the other. Those options are bash them, ignore them, or educate them.

Though the argument to get rid of comments from the nasty pricks and ignorant dum dums on the internet is unattainable, Hopefully users will realize that the ignorance displayed on internet is not always their fault and some times it's just as ignorant to deal with ignorance in a demeaning manor. Ultimately reducing the superiority complex across the board, in other words keeping users honest. It's a some what developed Sociological and Psychological thought process, over inflate an existing issue and display an unattainable goal to reach the desired goal.

In this case the goal (I think, I could be wrong) is just because someone says something stupid or asks a question that the answer to witch is readily available, dose not necessarily make them stupid, they may just be looking for information from a reliable source. It's up to the user reading the request to keep a more open and accepting mind, to decide whether or not they want to help, that one can just ignore it if they so please and that it is stupid to assume that one is stupid. On the other end of the spectrum the ideology is that maybe that new guy who just signed up to ask a question to think twice as to just how simple the question sounds and maybe the desired answer is some where out in the open and that maybe they should first take a look.

If my assessment is incorrect, please say so, as I am a new guy my self and likely missed a number of uncalled for reactions.

I'm not sure I quite understand what you're saying, could you explain it for me again? :lmao:

Of course I can. I've worked with 'special needs' so I understand your difficulties. :lmao:

To paraphrase:
Them that can, do - them that can't, should do anything just as long as they don't try to teach.

Does that help? :mrgreen:

Of course I can. I've worked with 'special needs' so I understand your difficulties. :lmao:

To paraphrase:
Them that can, do - them that can't, should do anything just as long as they don't try to teach.

Ouch.... :)

You guys crack me up.

To paraphrase:

*****! :lol:

Most reactions

Back