Pot calling Kettle....."Hello?"

i ask questions on these type of forums to get the answer i know i could look in a book but thats what the internet is for i thought.

which is the exact reason why i dont ask questions here and i ask elsewhere because of the reply above.

i dont want to read a book i want answers on the internet. and will get them where i can

The Internet is a huge expansive library of information. If you have a unique question that that needs an answer that is not easily found, than the Internet is wonderful because you can find an actual person to point you to a source for the answer or even actually answer the question for you.

but, no, the Internet is not a collection of individuals just sitting around waiting to do all the work for you. That is called your home.

if some of the mods dont like answering 'newbie' questions and tell them that the answer can be found by just looking at the forums or google it and it can be found, why on earth do u accept new members in. why dont all of you moaners that dont like to help go away and start your own forum.:lmao:

This is an intelligent issue that deserves to be addressed.

We want new members who will eventually contribute not just come in to take info and go away.

If a newbie asks a question for which there are already lots of well-discussed answers that can be found by a little searching in the Forum and is directed to look it up, three things happen.

1) The newbie is learning how to find information rather than depending on others for everything thus empowering him or herself. They will become better photographers and members.

2) The more experienced people who know the answers have the time and effort to spend on harder or more interesting questions thus keeping them involved in the Forum.

3) There is much less Forum effort used in answering the one-question poster who comes for info and then goes away.

The Internet is a huge expansive library of information. If you have a unique question that that needs an answer that is not easily found, than the Internet is wonderful because you can find an actual person to point you to a source for the answer or even actually answer the question for you.

but, no, the Internet is not a collection of individuals just sitting around waiting to do all the work for you. That is called your home.

how many times does it have to be said. nobody is forced to answer any question posted.
if you do not wish to answer a question just dont answer it

good god !!!!!! you guys are hard work

Jols, you are right with your latest remark, but please expand for me on the one you did earlier, on the mods not liking newbies to ask, and who of us ever expressed their dislike. I really want to know (I have asked this earlier, but as usual, my remarks get totally ignored).

Mods are people too...they have their good days and their not-so-good days.

Most of the mods & members here are pretty good about being very helpful to 'newbies'...but it can be trying when a question is asked for the 1000th time. Also, the answers to about 80% of the questions that get asked, can be found by searching the forum, or failing that...Google will turn up answers to just about anything. It's especially frustrating when it's clear that someone has not even tried to find the answer themselves.

I don't know who said it...but it was something like this...."God gave you two ears and only one mouth...so you should do twice as much listening as talking". I think the same principle can apply to forums. People should do twice as much reading/research than questions they ask.

this was a post by a mod and i would nt like to post a question if he was on line and having a bad day.

that is why i dont intend to have much activity in here and do all my pic posting and questions elsewhere.

this is the only thread here i have posted on i think.

Ah. You really do NOT know our Big Mike then.
Best meet people first, and really MEET them, and give them a chance, before you judge by ONE reply only. You are really not doing our Big Mike ANY justice here. Not at all.

And if you only want to rant in this thread but do your pic posting elsewhere, then I tend to believe you are only a troll and trolling is not allowed and that might mean that we have to take action. Think about it. You want to be a member of our community or you don't? If you want to troll ... we'll show you the way.

Ah. You really do NOT know our Big Mike then.
Best meet people first, and really MEET them, and give them a chance, before you judge by ONE reply only. You are really not doing our Big Mike ANY justice here. Not at all.

i am really sory if i read the reply out of context. but i do go by first impressions and as as im not likely to meet any of you guys thats all i have to go on.
you always come across as a nice person so my first impression of you is that your nice [but then again you could be a serial killer lol]

you have me thinking now:)

just read the last bit of your post and i would like to carry on reading this forum so i wont post on this thread anymore.
and im not ranting just commenting

I think over time you end up finding the members who you can approach. I have seen people over the years that come on here, and say a lot, but do not show it in their photos....sort of the all talk no action. Then there are some that , cause you can not see them reply, come across as harsh, or negative. Eventually you find the members that you end up , I guess ya can say..."bonding" with. I am far from a professional, and I have no plans on being a professional. I just want to have fun taking pics. This is my release from the craziness of the everyday world. But I would like to sit back and say...Cool shot....after I take it.

I try to answer the techy questions, and if I dont know the answer, I try to find it.
Sometimes it is just a matter of hanging out, finding out who is who, and go with the flow.
........oh...DMatt has always been a huge influence to me, I just gotta get him in the darkside now. :lol:

To quote Chiller... If you hang out long enough, you will meet people who you will become closer with. Big M is right on...and like anyone, "people" have bad days, whether you are a Mod or a just a member. Mod is just a title.
I think if you can take the time to add a negative response, why not use that time to make a positive reply instead. Would make the place a whole lot better.
I have never seen a mod snap on here, and I have been here longer then most Mods...I gotta keep them in line. :lmao::lmao:, or I can ban them. Sure there will be people that join with egos, attitudes, and all...but..... Gheesh...there are 15000 or so personalities on here, and all will not get along, but it still deserves a good try.

Take forums such as this one like a big cocktail party.
You walk into a room already full of people and don't know anyone.
You somehow get in conversation with some.
You are a stranger, they are strangers.
Would you always judge them by your very first impression then? Would you not talk a little and see if you can find out more about them?
The same happens here.
Some have been members for 3 - 4 years, and lo and behold, have even meanwhile met in person. This is POSSIBLE. And has happened.

And your very own "serial killer" is actually inviting to come to a big, one-week-long TPF meet-up in her little place in Germany next year in May, so there is one MORE chance for people of our little "internet cocktail party" to meet in person. So don't exclude that chance. (I might plan to kill them all, though, who knows???)

Anyhow.
Always behave on a forum such as this (which for many is a very nice community, mind you) as you would with real people. We ARE real people (and I can assure you that most of them are REALLY NICE people, too!)

Take forums such as this one like a big cocktail party.
You walk into a room already full of people and don't know anyone.
You somehow get in conversation with some.
You are a stranger, they are strangers.
Would you always judge them by your very first impression then? Would you not talk a little and see if you can find out more about them?
The same happens here.
Some have been members for 3 - 4 years, and lo and behold, have even meanwhile met in person. This is POSSIBLE. And has happened.

And your very own "serial killer" is actually inviting to come to a big, one-week-long TPF meet-up in her little place in Germany next year in May, so there is one MORE chance for people of our little "internet cocktail party" to meet in person. So don't exclude that chance. (I might plan to kill them all, though, who knows???)

Anyhow.
Always behave on a forum such as this (which for many is a very nice community, mind you) as you would with real people. We ARE real people (and I can assure you that most of them are REALLY NICE people, too!)

good points [and this is my last word ha ha ]

i will hang around and if i d hear about a mass murder it might get me thinking lol

see you somewhere on another post

all my love

jols
:D

(I might plan to kill them all, though, who knows???)
:shock:

Can't you just ban them....? :lol:

Really, she just wants to steal their cameras while they are asleep.

:shock:

Can't you just ban them....? :lol:

Really, she just wants to steal their cameras while they are asleep.

Judging by the number of people who've said they're going, if Corinna did the deed, that would only leave the spammers on here - who's going to look after them then? :confused:

Ach, some of the lenses that might arrive at little Lauenbrück might do, too, if those should simply get "forgotten" here, like those that our lost prophet might bring or so ;) ;) ;)!

And Terri, you are one of the few who know me in person, and you obviously SURVIVED our meet-up in DC! Wow! :D

Coooooorrrrrrrrrrrinna... I had no idea. Your a darksider. :hugs:

This alone was worth suggesting I might be one.

1.gif
For you, Chiller. :biggrin:

Most reactions

Back