Pot calling Kettle....."Hello?"

Yes, the internet is a fantastic resource, and I encourage you to use it. I however, am not the internet, nor am I an encyclopedia. I am a professional who graciously lends his time here to help out fellow passionate photographers, and I'm not happy when I see that I am here to hold hands and spoon feed. I also encourage you to look for an English grammar resource.

Matt, no offense, but no one ties you down and forces you to spoon feed people or be their encyclopedia.
Just skip the question. Maybe someone else doesn't mind spoon feeding.

thanks elsaspet.

i just think if i dont know the answer to a question or dont want to answer it i dont. its sooooooooooo easy, but some people do let themselves get wound up about nothing. its a bit sad really.

if i do ask a question hall i put on it 'digital matt DO NOT ANSWER'. [cause i dont think id want your help anyway

thanks elsaspet.

i just think if i dont know the answer to a question or dont want to answer it i dont. its sooooooooooo easy, but some people do let themselves get wound up about nothing. its a bit sad really.

if i do ask a question hall i put on it 'digital matt DO NOT ANSWER'. [cause i dont think id want your help anyway

I think over time you end up finding the members who you can approach. I have seen people over the years that come on here, and say a lot, but do not show it in their photos....sort of the all talk no action. Then there are some that , cause you can not see them reply, come across as harsh, or negative. Eventually you find the members that you end up , I guess ya can say..."bonding" with. I am far from a professional, and I have no plans on being a professional. I just want to have fun taking pics. This is my release from the craziness of the everyday world. But I would like to sit back and say...Cool shot....after I take it.

I try to answer the techy questions, and if I dont know the answer, I try to find it.
Sometimes it is just a matter of hanging out, finding out who is who, and go with the flow.
........oh...DMatt has always been a huge influence to me, I just gotta get him in the darkside now. :lol:

Matt, no offense, but no one ties you down and forces you to spoon feed people or be their encyclopedia.
Just skip the question. Maybe someone else doesn't mind spoon feeding.
To be fair, Matt said exactly that:
I try to be as helpful as possible, but when I see the same questions over and over, asked out of what seems to me to be apparent lack of any effort to find a simple answer, I skip that thread.

Some of what makes "old timers" on here angry is the lack of effort to do some of your own research. The simple answers, that can be found in any basic photography book, being asked again and again make one wonder, 'If you are so into this photography thing, why aren't you doing some research on your own?".
Frankly, it's hard to argue with this approach at times - sometimes I think a lot of it has to do with how questions are presented. There have been members who scatter questions all over the forum, and in a confusing, disjointed kind of way, which does beg the question as to how seriously they are approaching their subject. While many of us are very happy to be as helpful as we can, there have also been some occasions when the poster's response to the answers to his question is to challenge them.

Also, this IS "just the internet" - and while we all like a fast & easy reply, not everyone who responds to a newbie's question has the background of Hertz. We all know there is massive misinformation out there. It's reasonable to expect those who really want to learn to draw from sources other than photo forums.

I think over time you end up finding the members who you can approach. I have seen people over the years that come on here, and say a lot, but do not show it in their photos....sort of the all talk no action. Then there are some that , cause you can not see them reply, come across as harsh, or negative. Eventually you find the members that you end up , I guess ya can say..."bonding" with. I am far from a professional, and I have no plans on being a professional. I just want to have fun taking pics. This is my release from the craziness of the everyday world. But I would like to sit back and say...Cool shot....after I take it.

I try to answer the techy questions, and if I dont know the answer, I try to find it.
Sometimes it is just a matter of hanging out, finding out who is who, and go with the flow.
........oh...DMatt has always been a huge influence to me, I just gotta get him in the darkside now. :lol:

Chiller, I think I love you man! LOL. I'm going to migrate to Canada! (More than a few Bu****es would be more than thrilled, I'm sure!)
I have no idea how you were here before me dangit! And if you get that damn bear, lets share it. We'll "bad" out the poor bear. Or the lucky bear.....it all depends on our warped perceptions.

To be fair, Matt said exactly that: Frankly, it's hard to argue with this approach at times - sometimes I think a lot of it has to do with how questions are presented. There have been members who scatter questions all over the forum, and in a confusing, disjointed kind of way, which does beg the question as to how seriously they are approaching their subject. While many of us are very happy to be as helpful as we can, there have also been some occasions when the poster's response to the answers to his question is to challenge them.

Also, this IS "just the internet" - and while we all like a fast & easy reply, not everyone who responds to a newbie's question has the background of Hertz. We all know there is massive misinformation out there. It's reasonable to expect those who really want to learn to draw from sources other than photo forums.

You are right Terri, that is what he said. I misunderstood.
But I still don't understand why it's such a burden. You helped me. A lot. Noone asked you to, but there you were with guns blazing killer advice.
I don't think you have any idea how much you shaped me. But you did. I've mentioned it over and over and over again. It's not just a "today because it's convenient for my argument" thing.
My whole point is that, dang, if I didn't have those helping hands, I'd be nowhere. I was sooooo fortunate not to get pommelled for my plethera of stupid questions. I asked, and was answered. Simple.
I was illiterate in photography, the settings, the grammer, all that stuff, but I knew enough to know who to look too before getting beaten back by the bullies.

Chiller, I think I love you man! LOL. I'm going to migrate to Canada! (More than a few Bu****es would be more than thrilled, I'm sure!)
I have no idea how you were here before me dangit! And if you get that damn bear, lets share it. We'll "bad" out the poor bear. Or the lucky bear.....it all depends on our warped perceptions.

Thanks chicklette. ......:hug::

Im just wondering if the bear wants to say...y'all....or Eh? :lmao::lmao:

Yes, the internet is a fantastic resource, and I encourage you to use it. I however, am not the internet, nor am I an encyclopedia. I am a professional who graciously lends his time here to help out fellow passionate photographers, and I'm not happy when I see that I am here to hold hands and spoon feed. I also encourage you to look for an English grammar resource.

This is exactly the type of unprofessional comments that are the root of the problem. I can't imagine why you would want to personally attack someones grammer and be so condescending.

Skip the post and let someone else answer the question.

TC- exactly.
Unfortunately it's worse for the mods. They are the "voice" of the people here a lot of the time.
When a beginner see's moderators doing stuff like calling another person illiterate, it makes it scary for that new person to say something.
I know it's a double standard, but we look up to our leaders and rely on them more than others.

Can you believe it? I'm about to paraphrase Ayn Ryan. One of the few times in her life she knew what she was talking about.

"If you can't argue the question in a reasonable fashion, call the debator a queer. Then you won't have to argue reasonably for the rest of the debate".

Mods are people too...they have their good days and their not-so-good days.

Most of the mods & members here are pretty good about being very helpful to 'newbies'...but it can be trying when a question is asked for the 1000th time. Also, the answers to about 80% of the questions that get asked, can be found by searching the forum, or failing that...Google will turn up answers to just about anything. It's especially frustrating when it's clear that someone has not even tried to find the answer themselves.

I don't know who said it...but it was something like this...."God gave you two ears and only one mouth...so you should do twice as much listening as talking". I think the same principle can apply to forums. People should do twice as much reading/research than questions they ask.

Mods are people too...they have their good days and their not-so-good days.

Most of the mods & members here are pretty good about being very helpful to 'newbies'...but it can be trying when a question is asked for the 1000th time. Also, the answers to about 80% of the questions that get asked, can be found by searching the forum, or failing that...Google will turn up answers to just about anything. It's especially frustrating when it's clear that someone has not even tried to find the answer themselves.

I don't know who said it...but it was something like this...."God gave you two ears and only one mouth...so you should do twice as much listening as talking". I think the same principle can apply to forums. People should do twice as much reading/research than questions they ask.

Mike,
I'm an old chick, and I had all kinds of jobs in my past. One of them was a Homicide Investigor for Wise County, TX. ( I spent almost a decade as a police officer).
Yeah, I had my bad days, obviously, but I wasn't allowed to go around town telling people they were illeterate hicks.
Can you visualize the 10 oclock news here?
So why couldn't I say it when other people said it all the time. Because I was held to a higher standard than the ordinary going to work crowd.
Police Officers are leaders to most in the community. This is a community as well. The mods are our police officers.
Yeah, they have bad days, but the best form would to come back quickly and apologize their butt off for calling ANY member of the community, illiterate. And if the Sheriff didn't force them to, next year he'd be looking for re-election.

Most reactions

Back