Pro crop d500

Okay folks, let's relax a bit here. If you like Leica, you like Leica; if you like Nikon, you like Nikon. Whatever... I don't try and convince others that my beliefs are the way to go, because I know they feel just as strongly about their own. The discussion at hand is on the Nikon D500. Let's keep it there.

That said, I am very seriously considering adding one of these to my stable. It seems like an event shooter's dream at what I consider a bargain price!

Don't need much to produce black and white images on a ridicously overpriced ugly camera. As far as your "friends" that shoot wildlife, who cares, they have not touched the D500. I'm probably a top rated bird photographer in the US and I would pickt the D500 over the D5 because it is better suited to what and how I shoot...
I don't know how you can say a Leica is ugly next to a Canon or Nikon
Leica is just another 35mm camera. You remember.....the budget format.
For the same money or less you could step up into medium format and get real quality.
I have medium format cameras
Far better than your leicas
Not to hold and use
The best camera for that was my pentax 110 super.
Still better than a leica

Don't need much to produce black and white images on a ridicously overpriced ugly camera. As far as your "friends" that shoot wildlife, who cares, they have not touched the D500. I'm probably a top rated bird photographer in the US and I would pickt the D500 over the D5 because it is better suited to what and how I shoot...

Beauty is in the ye of the beholder
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Not funny, I've been sober for over 5 years. To assume one bases personal opinions because of alcohol is quite insulting
Chill out its a joke, I like a drink but would never get in that situation

Leica is just another 35mm camera. You remember.....the budget format.
For the same money or less you could step up into medium format and get real quality.
I have medium format cameras
Far better than your leicas
Not to hold and use
The best camera for that was my pentax 110 super.
Still better than a leica
If you say so

Looks like someone pricing things to switch brands :)
:) Not necessarily, but I get so many questions on my FB page about gear that I am watching the D500 like a hawk (so to speak) For someone that wants to shoot like I do, I am already recommending they hold off a little and wait for reviews on the D500.

I can see why it would appeal to someone like yourself. I don't need one and it appeals to me :) . I don't get all this brand / camera / gear hate that shows up here sometimes. Some people (and I am one) get as much enjoyment out of the nerdy technology side as the photos

Totally agree. If money was not an issue, I would switch every single time something was an improvement - as long as the lens selection followed suit. "I don't get all this brand / camera / gear hate that shows up here sometimes." Sometimes? Seems to be every single time. Then some dumb dumb comes along and says "technique, rtfm, quality of light, lighting accessories, whatever is in your hands at the time, and lens, and tripod, and ...... matter more to your....." :Clown:

That said, I am very seriously considering adding one of these to my stable. It seems like an event shooter's dream at what I consider a bargain price!
Back to our conversation at hand... Where would it fit into an event shooters stable? Short fast prime? Outside ceremononies from a longer distance for isolation? I'm curious how quiet the shutter is? I also think that dxo Mark will crown this the new king of dx for overall sensor score..

Back to our conversation at hand... Where would it fit into an event shooters stable? Short fast prime? Outside ceremononies from a longer distance for isolation? I'm curious how quiet the shutter is? I also think that dxo Mark will crown this the new king of dx for overall sensor score..
I'm mainly looking at the high ISO potential and the [virtually] unlimited buffer. Plus ~20mp is a really nice size, allowing loose shooting with plenty of meat left for an 8x10/11x14 size print.

I'm mainly looking at the high ISO potential and the [virtually] unlimited buffer. Plus ~20mp is a really nice size, allowing loose shooting with plenty of meat left for an 8x10/11x14 size print.
I think the 20 MP is a pretty sweet spot as well. Two things I have been noticing in other forums are people are very put off by, gasp!, only 20 MP and not having a pop up flash. In the past 3 years I can probably count on one hand the actual time I "needed" a pop up flash. I just wanted to hear your perspective for events since most people are only looking at it as a sports/wildlife camera..

I think the 20 MP is a pretty sweet spot as well. Two things I have been noticing in other forums are people are very put off by, gasp!, only 20 MP and not having a pop up flash. In the past 3 years I can probably count on one hand the actual time I "needed" a pop up flash. I just wanted to hear your perspective for events since most people are only looking at it as a sports/wildlife camera..
I think NOT having a pop-up flash is a big plus. All the bodies I have with a pop-up flash have it taped down with a large piece of gaff tape!

I think NOT having a pop-up flash is a big plus. All the bodies I have with a pop-up flash have it taped down with a large piece of gaff tape!

Why?

I'm happy about the 20mp a well.

There's a lot of new tech here. I'm a little concerned regarding Nikon's ability to have a problem free release. A majority of the recent releases have had issues and I don't think there was as much new tech involved.

I also wonder if Nikon will get their production estimates correct with respect to demand. I remember the waits for the D800E because they did not expect people to want the version without the AA filter. I could see Nikon playing it safe with production and pissing people off with delays as a result.

Nikon likes to shoot themselves in the foot lately. This release has a lot of feet ....

Yea I could care less about the pop up flash and being its target for serious enthusiast to pro shooters I don't think many will mind the lose of flash.I never had one on my previous canon 6D and not once wished it had one. I hate waiting for something not available yet and not knowing if there will be any problems that need a return trip for fixes but I will be ordering one hopefully soon.

Why?
Because it kept hitting the brim of his cap :)
You're not far wrong. When I'm shooting sporting events, and other 'run & gun' type work, I generally have two bodies on a BR Double. I can't count the number of times that I'd be running from point 'A' to point 'B' and the body would hit my leg or something and pop the flash up. The fact that I never ripped it off is a miracle. In addition, other than checking to make sure it worked when the body was new, I've never used the pop-up on any of my cameras.

YESTERDAY,it was widely reported that the Canadian dollar hit a 12-year low (some sources say 11-year low)...that financial pinch is probably coloring the views of a certain member who has been vigorously complaining about the introductory price of new Nikon models for the last few years. The Canadian loonie dipped below 71 cents American yesterday for the first time since 2003.

Recall that this same member was very upset that Nikon's D7200 was just....too expensive....too many Canadian dollars being asked for the D7200. Fast forward...here he is again...lambasting the company that dare put a camera on the market at too high a price in Canadian dollars...

When it takes $1.41 Canadian to make one US dollar, it seems like that somehow makes things more expensive in Canada than it does in other places where the monetary unit has greater value.

Too many loonies, too many loonies! Too many loonies indeed.

Complaining about the price of any class-leading, brand-new camera model is sort of a fool's errand. Luckily, the interwebs can provide us with plenty of errand runners--people who think that manufacturers "owe them" some kind of friends-and-family-like, super-discounted pricing....you know, kinda like there are a lot of people who expect a $350 wedding shoot with, "All the pit'chers on DVD's!" People who whine about paying what a service or good is "worth"...we alllll know the type.

I sure would like a nice $39,599 car...for $15 grand--which is what I CAN buy a 4-year-old version for.

Pricing on all manufactured goods is designed to sell product, and to keep the manufacturer in business, while making a decent profit. If one cannot afford a brand new camera,, there are some options, like:1)STFU and just make due without 2)buy a used model 3)wait for refurbished models to go on sale 4)buy one-generation out of date 5)get a better-paying job.

The Nikon D2x was $4999 when I bought a brand-new one on May 3, 2005. Want one today? They can easily be bought for $500. The D500 is probably EIGHT f/stops better in terms of High ISO than the D2x was...and costs $3k less at introduction.

It makes very little sense to look at what the D500 offers and scream that it is over-priced at $1999...10 fps, new AF system that dPreview expects will elevate the D5 and D500 to the absolute pinnacle of AF capability in focusing and focus tracking, 200 frame buffer,etc.etc.. and it is markedly better in specification than the Canon 7D-II, which Canon has recently been discounting to under E$1,100 (that's United States Dollar units...not Canadian...) in an effort to clear out inventory that becomes immediately outdated/lesser in value/less-desirable as soon as the D500 becomes available for pre-order.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back