What's new

Probably me best photo

JoshuaSimPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
1,484
Reaction score
96
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
SO, right now is Australia’s biggest photography competition being held. One of the briefs is ‘wind’. So I decided to jot down some ideas and I was inspred very much so by Mary Poppins, and here is my result: Please give me any feedback if you can.
$iyhvkb.vliyf.webp
Ps: That’s me!
 
I like where you're going with this: the action and story and color. It's a cool idea!

What I think needs improvement: 1) need to see your face/eyes for that emotional connection; 2) better location - the back yard looks like a ...back yard; 3) needs to be sharper; 4) need a context for the wind (what's its source?) - nothing else in the image is being blown about.

Go have fun!
 
No, I don't think you can effectively force a realistic sense of wind through blurring for this particular scenario. At least with this location. I'd try an actual windy location - the beach with bunchgrass blowing sideways, perhaps, or a park. Another choice would be a location with nothing that would move when windy - all stone, concrete, wood, etc. Like a city sidewalk or a roof.
 
How did you setup your shot? Was this one exposure then areas cloned out or did you shoot a composite? There's is something strange going on under your body.
 
Yeah, I’m an editing noob, and I placed a box there, and tried to photoshop it out. I used the spot healing brush tool, but I’m not sure if I can get it better than this
 
the way to get this shot isn't spot healing brush, it's taking two shots, one with the guy and the box, the other with just the background, and then using layer masks to cover over the box with the shot of no background. you may need three shots, one of the guy on the box, one of the background, and one of the background with somebody holding some object that will cast a shadow roughly where the guy is, so that you can get the shadows right.
 
Oh ok, thanks for the insight. SO when I take the picture of me on a box, will it be where the background is?
 
yes, same exact framed shot each time. only thing that changes is subject in, no subject and (if needed) something to cast shadows in the right way.
 
also, make sure you shoot on a tripod and in manual mode. biggest key to this method is not having anything change between the shots your blending. tripod ensures the exact same frame, manual mode ensures the exact same exposure and DOF.
 
oh, also when you get your subject in focus in the first picture, change your lens to manual focus, so that the focus doesn't change when you take the shot with him out of it.
 
Will do, this shot is actually on a tripod, I had a wireless cable release that had an interval of 2 seconds, so I had to try to get a good position quick! This was very tiring!
 
Pretty good concept dude, if you reshoot with the background composited properly it will look really nice. May I ask what competition this is for? I'm an Aussie myself
 
It's a cool idea, but the posted image just doesn't have enough WOW factor IMO to win a competition. You really have to grab attention of the judges with an image that is technically perfect and innovative at the same time.
As others suggested - you need a more exciting location, angle. Also - get some more dramatic light on the subject (yourself) - either flash or natural light.
I would pay attention to the details as well - try to get a cool Mary Poppins style retro umbrella and wear some wicked old-fashioned clothes (hat would be cool or an old briefcase etc.) Try to include such little things that help build up the story of the photo.
Remember when you are composing such an image: It should show someting obvious - the main story, that grabs your attetion immediately and then slowly as you look at the image longer you discover many hidden details which complete the image and show the judges your attention and precision for details. This way you achieve that one can look at an image longer without getting boring. =P

It's not easy - but give it a shot ;)

Oh and BTW:
You could simply avoid hard core photoshop manipulation by "flying" vertical. Go outside freeze yourself in a jump. Off camera flash will make a huge difference in this place!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom