After a year or two of "daily levitations" it's pretty clear that Ms. Natsumi is getting a little bored, or at least her images are becomming a bit long in the tooth. The Chinese photographer had some more interesting stuff - crazy stuff even, something like people drinking tea on the outside of a skyscraper, and some of the earlier stuff had more substance.
This kind of trick photography has it's limits, I think, and it's easy to become absorbed by the intrigue of it. I think that is kind of what happened with Natsumi, people see it, you get positive feedback, you think you're onto something. But in the end where is the significance aside from the visual appeal, what is being communicated?
This is kind of what I am thinking when I see Josh's photograph. I wonder what the point is exactly what am I supposed to be seeing in this image aside from the tricks involved - tricks which have been done over and over and over to the point that they have almost become cliche. If you google image search "levitation photography umbrella", you do get a variety of variations - most plays on Mary Poppins.
I think it's OK to reuse old ideas and get inspiration from other photographers. Appropriation has become an important part of contemporary art, and this has even changed how we think of art, copyright and law. But at the same time I think it's important to push boundaries and expectations. For the most part, levitation photography has been limited to the realm of trick photography - and there is a sense of instant gratification involved, the images are visually compelling, but there is also a sense of "seen one, seen them all".
Unfortunately, Josh, I don't really see a whole lot in this image that hasn't been done before, and the image - like most others with few exception - still remains, IMO, more or less about the technique. I don't have any clearer idea about who you are as an individual, the world which you live, the world which we share or how you see the world and what you value within it or what how you see others experiencing and sharing the world which we all belong. In my opinion these things are what makes a photograph art.
It's a visually interesting image, and technically fairly well executed. However, I don't think it holds much significance beyond the techniques involved.