What's new

Probably me best photo

Under modernism, originality was very important as a break from old the classical aesthetics or the renaissance and ancient classical art, which seemed to just regurgitate endlessly. There was a big push in the late 1800s to try to get away from that, and originality was valued.

by the late-20th century, the American philosopher Richard Rorty responds to the postmodern movement and concludes that nothing is new, and that everything is essentially appropriated from something else, and furthermore our interpretations of that which we gain inspiration is determined by other experiences and "world views" which we hold.

Most postmodernists would throw up their hands and just say that "everything has been done and there is no sense in trying anything novel". But I think that this is a misunderstanding of postmodern appropriation. Rorty was known for kind of turning everything around to the point that his interpretations of Nietzsche, while logically sound based on what was written, do not take into account cultural or historical considerations, and that by "misreading" Nietzsche and appropriating his writings into our world view we do in fact create something novel.

Certainly when you look at art history there is a clear progression from, Jasper Johns or Pollock to Picasso and Braque to late Matisse and Derain to Monet. From there you can easily make connections to classical art. Each of these artists used what they knew about art to appropriate into their own experiences, creating something which transcends that which they appropriated.

So while originality was important to the modernists, postmodernists seem to embrace the fact that nothing is or can be completely original. After all, we don't live in a vacuum. However, the challenge arises when we seek to create something, rather than simply regurgitate it. With so many photographers being essentially modernist or new modernist (Adams, et al), I think we risk getting into that rut of emulation as we seek out aesthetic perfection.

That said, I wouldn't really classify levitation photography as "modern" due to it's "truthiness" (appearance of truth when in fact it is a lie), certainly Adams would not have been impressed.
 
Last edited:
Ofcourse levitation photography isn't new! But, yowayowa is just someone 'famous' who does it and many mistake her for being the inventor. But i mean, i like the conceptual thinking of modernism, but it isn;t my main art form
 
yes, and Rorty didn't come up with the intentional fallacy on his own either, in fact it was well known in literature as far back as the mid 20th century, more than thirty five years prior to Contingency, Irony and Solidarity. At least I think that was the book I'm thinking about.
 
People actually say that Rorty is the "father" of postmodernism.

I always find that a little more than ironic.
 
(what I find most interesting is that we're in a period now where we name our own philosophic period that we are currently in. very McKennian ... but that's a whole different can of philosophy: metaphysics)
 
art is the expression of our collective philosophy. It's like a record of how people think, feel and believe.
 
i had many other ideas about the pic too. More stories though. One was to do a levitation one, but superman! I also thought of a famous bruce lee quote; Water can crash and it can be smooth, be water my friend. I was hinting of showing the idea o how strong wind can be and also how calming it can be too. I was thinking of doing 2 photos! But now, I will have a very strong and moving background and me, still and calming.
 
Woohoo! I just bribed my dad to take me to a ‘windy’ place on the weekend. It is train station near a uni (so plenty human element), the trains there are some of the fastest in melbourne and apparently there is some amazing scenes and trees!
 
But now, I will have a very strong and moving background and me, still and calming.

I think this is a much better idea, provided you can pull it off. The problem I can see already is implying calmness with your hair whipping around in the wind. Consider a long exposure or composite or both. Make sure to get a variety of choices to choose from.
 
Good one for giving this a go - Its difficult work to do.
 
Haha, thx it really is hard. If I did this everyday for a year I could compete in the Olympics!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom