Professional Shoot - What to do?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So in my time here at TPF, I've often learned by picking up things that multiple people have told me and what I've analyzed through various threads, but I still would like to have advice for specific things now and then and this is no different. I am possibly photographing several models for this small business soon. This is their website: Welcome To Adiva Naturals I was told there would be several models I would be photographing to showcase their products. The lady I talked to assumed I would have my own lighting equipment, and I might be able to borrow some, but...

1) What do I do if I can't come up with it?
2) What kind of shots should I do, and where? Since they're models being hired by her, should the models be in charge of their own poses, or her (owner), or me?
3) What kind of and who needs to sign contracts/model releases? If she is paying me for my work, do I lose the right to the images (I can't use them on my FB page, etc?)
4) I've made it clear to her I am in no way a top-notch professional, and that she is getting what she pays for. Question is, about how much should she pay?

I really hope someone can come up with some good answers here. I love your sage advice! Thanks!!

Moved from the Foundations of Photography section's - Beyond the Basics forum, to the Business District section's - General Shop Talk forum.

An online photography forum is not a reliable place to be seeking legal advice. You should consult with a qualified attorney (contract, publication, and copyright law).

1. Tell them you can't do the shoot / or rent what is needed.
2. Since the images will be for advertising a small business, logic points to them being made in and/or around the business or in a studio. Posing is usually done by the photographer since posing relates to lighting. The models may, or may not, know how to pose themselves, and likely know little if anything about photographic lighting. How much posing experience do you have?
3. Who ever writes the contract has a distinct and major advantage. Model releases are a concern for the image publisher. The photographer usually gets them just because the photographer is there when the images are made, not so much because it's the photographer that needs the release. If you use any of the images to promote your 'business' you will also want valid releases signed by any people in the images you use for advertising. Visit U.S. Copyright Office - download and read Circular #9.
4. Pricing varies by region. For commercial photography a creative fee is usually charged for the photographers time, talent, and equipment. Use licensing fees depend on what media types, impressions, size, geographical area, usage length of time, etc. are charged as a separate item.

Visit American Society of Media Photographers and start reading in their Business Resources section.
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/06/lighting-102-introduction.html
http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/

A Digital Photographer's Guide to Model Releases: Making the Best Business Decisions with Your Photos of People, Places and Things
Best Business Practices for Photographers, Second Edition
ASMP Professional Business Practices in Photography
500 Poses for Photographing Women: A Visual Sourcebook for Portrait Photographers
Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Location Photography
Lighting for Digital Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots (Using Flash and Natural Light for Portrait, Still Life, Action, and Product Photography)
Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Keith pretty much covered all of the main points. Having looked at the website, I'd say you'd have to work hard NOT to produce better work than they already have, but it sounds like from a business perspective, you may not be fully prepared to take on a commission like this.

I may be borrowing the gear to do it. I'm not "playing" professional. Besides, the word professional is defined as someone who receives money for their services. I said that I made sure that they realized they are getting what they paid for, and with a new and small business, that may be all they can afford. I may even like to do it for free depending on location.

Thanks for the advice, Keith and tirediron! :)

The lady I talked to assumed I would have my own lighting equipment, and I might be able to borrow some, but...

I hate to sound like I'm "piling on" you, but you have been hired to photograph some models to showcase their products, and you make this comment? Seriously? Do you realize how completely unbelievable and unprofessional that sounds? :roll:

I'm no pro, just a hobbyist, but I'm flabbergasted at this comment. Good luck.

Besides, the word professional is defined as someone who receives money for their services.

:lmao::lmao:........... :lmao::lmao:
:lmao::lmao:........... :lmao::lmao:

..........:lmao:

:lmao: .................:lmao:
...:lmao: ...........:lmao:
......:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I think I made my point.

Well your subject heading stated professional shoot. so either you are a professional, you are playing a professional, or you chose a bad subject title.

I may be borrowing the gear to do it. I'm not "playing" professional. Besides, the word professional is defined as someone who receives money for their services. I said that I made sure that they realized they are getting what they paid for, and with a new and small business, that may be all they can afford. I may even like to do it for free depending on location.

Thanks for the advice, Keith and tirediron! :)

This is not something you can figure out on a chat room floor. If you screw this up what will you say ...I just did not have the right equipment Your idea about being in business is very backward and you will never survive going about photography like this.

But you spent all that time getting your logo and watermark and your website ready. Maybe you should have been collecting and learning to use lighting gear and posing, shooting......??

Just a thought.

There needs to be lots more back and forth talking going on here.

1. You rent the lighting, and either you pay or the owner pays for it directly. If you don't already have the layout designed, ask the owner what she envisions.
2. Again, talk to the owner. She is taking the initiative, hiring models, photographer, etc. so get all that from her.
3. Ask the owner.
4. Talk it over. If she is paying the models, supplying the props, clothing, and the space, she is already committing to paying so find out what she was expecting to pay you.

Talk to the owner.

Most reactions

Back