Professional Shoot - What to do?

This may sting a bit...
After viewing your tumblr site, I would say your work is sub par, at best. Here is why I feel that way; out of focus keyboard shots, overdone HDR, blown-out skies, underexposed subjects, unclear subjects, mostly snapshots, watermark is too intrusive. I think you should back out of this model shoot, let someone who knows what they are doing with lighting, posing, interaction with models, and take note of their every move so you can learn. Believe me, you are biting off waaaay more than your website shows you can chew.

This may sting a bit...
After viewing your tumblr site, I would say your work is sub par, at best. Here is why I feel that way; out of focus keyboard shots, overdone HDR, blown-out skies, underexposed subjects, unclear subjects, mostly snapshots, watermark is too intrusive. I think you should back out of this model shoot, let someone who knows what they are doing with lighting, posing, interaction with models, and take note of their every move so you can learn. Believe me, you are biting off waaaay more than your website shows you can chew.

I didn't want to say it myself, but there you go. I have to agree. Sorry. I am not liking your images, at least the ones on this website or on your Facebook page. Keep shooting, by all means, keep shooting, but I'm not sure I'd hang my shingle out yet to get paid. YMMV. Just my $0.02.

Besides, the word professional is defined as someone who receives money for their services.
That is just one of several definitions of professional. http://www.bing.com/search?setmkt=en-US&q=professional

I believe the one that should be applied to someone that has a business is #3:

pro·fes·sion·al
[ prō féshən'l ]

• of profession: relating to or belonging to a profession
  • following occupation as paid job: engaged in an occupation as a paid job rather than as a hobby
  • businesslike: conforming to the standards of skill, competence, or character normally expected of a properly qualified and experienced person in a work environment
Synonyms: specialized, qualified, proficient, skilled, trained, practiced, certified, licensed,expert, career

"I'm going to take on this shoot but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing." -- more appropriate thread title

I may be borrowing the gear to do it. I'm not "playing" professional. Besides, the word professional is defined as someone who receives money for their services. I said that I made sure that they realized they are getting what they paid for, and with a new and small business, that may be all they can afford. I may even like to do it for free depending on location.

Thanks for the advice, Keith and tirediron! :)

Do it for free and then call yourself the amateur you are, since according to your definition it's someone who gets paid for their services. You took a shoot without have the skills or equipment to do it, yes they are getting what they might pay for. If you want to kill your business quick, keep doing this.

Ah, the hell with it.

I wrote a bunch of stuff but then deleted it. It's just not worth arguing with this one any longer. He is absolutely bound and determined to become a professional photographer before he knows how to use a camera and I'm tired of discussing it.

All I'm going to say is this: There are no "Top-Notch" professionals there are ONLY "Professionals". You either are or you aren't, there is no middle ground. If you agree to a professional contract then you are expected to provide professional results.

I'm done here.

Check out the track record of this member. He has a history of threads that demonstrate his lack of knowledge, experience, and willingness to learn from this community. When I offered him some very honest criticism in a prior thread, he and others whined about how mean I was and my entries, which were no more harsh than some of the ones in this thread, were censored by a moderator. I see one common denominator here, the OP. My advice to this guy is to start listening to this community learn to mine the wealth of experience contained in it.

And if the mods feel compelled to take down this post for being mean, please leave up the following quote from SCraig ...
Ah, the hell with it. I wrote a bunch of stuff but then deleted it. It's just not worth arguing with this one any longer.

Check out the track record of this member. He has a history of threads that demonstrate his lack of knowledge, experience, and willingness to learn from this community. When I offered him some very honest criticism in a prior thread, he and others whined about how mean I was and my entries, which were no more harsh than some of the ones in this thread, were censored by a moderator. I see one common denominator here, the OP. My advice to this guy is to start listening to this community learn to mine the wealth of experience contained in it.

And if the mods feel compelled to take down this post for being mean, please leave up the following quote from SCraig ...

I have to agree. DGM has had a pattern of posts where he's met a lot of resistance from the community here... Not because he's trying to improve his craft, but because he's putting other things before learning the craft. Things like making business cards, building a website, etc. all things that are fine in their own right, but for him they seem to be coming before the development of appropriate knowledge and skill.

Now he's taking assignments, that he's probably not ready for. But no one likes to hear that they are wrong or that they need more practice. So it makes me wonder why he comes here, maybe it's the closest thing to a reality check he gets.

Okay, I think the point has been made! I suspect that my opinions on people undertaking work they're not qualified for are fairly well known here, but at the same time, there's limited benefit to flogging a dead horse.

no one likes to hear that they are wrong or that they need more practice. So it makes me wonder why he comes here, maybe it's the closest thing to a reality check he gets.
+1 and frankly I'm getting tired of having to walk on eggshells and sugar-coat the wisdom I choose to share.

no one likes to hear that they are wrong or that they need more practice. So it makes me wonder why he comes here, maybe it's the closest thing to a reality check he gets.
+1 and frankly I'm getting tired of having to walk on eggshells and sugar-coat the wisdom I choose to share.

Wisdom :lmao:

Wisdom :lmao:

"I've learned caution. This comes from wisdom." (-John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten)).

I have to agree. DGM has had a pattern of posts where he's met a lot of resistance from the community here... Not because he's trying to improve his craft, but because he's putting other things before learning the craft. Things like making business cards, building a website, etc. all things that are fine in their own right, but for him they seem to be coming before the development of appropriate knowledge and skill.

Now he's taking assignments, that he's probably not ready for. But no one likes to hear that they are wrong or that they need more practice. So it makes me wonder why he comes here, maybe it's the closest thing to a reality check he gets.

Edit.. content deleted, since I didn't get to Johns "MOD" post until after I had posted it... lol!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back