What's new

Project31

Bo4key

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
May 6, 2011
Messages
906
Reaction score
127
Location
British Columbia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've decided to take on a 31 day photo project for January and will be posting the photos here for comments and critique. I'm hoping to accomplish this by taking as few pictures as possible of my kids, I've got enough of those already :lmao:


Wish me luck & thanks for looking.

Day 1


Day 1 by Boaketography, on Flickr

I like the sharpness of this shot and the catch light in his eye. I don't like the background however even though it is out of focus.
 
Cute puppy. The only this that I notice is that it looks to me like the focus in not on the eyes and closer to the snout.
Just my opinion though.
 
Thanks!

I agree. I shot this wide open and probably could have stopped down a little to get a deeper DOF. I was focused on getting the nose IN focus (I see a lot of dog portraits where the snout is oof) so much that it was at the expense of the eyes.
 
Day 2!


I had intended on doing some landscape shots today but the light was flat and boring and it was completely overcast. At least there were some ducks down by the creek when I went for a hike.


Day 2 by Boaketography, on Flickr

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ISO 400
[/FONT]F/2.8
1/125 sec
50 mm
 
Day 3

This is an old Pentax K1000 that my grandma gave me a few months ago. Sadly, the battery was left in it during years of storage and it corroded and the light meter no longer works. The local camera shop told me it would be more expensive to fix than it is worth. Too bad, I was looking forward to shooting film for fun.


Day 3 by Boaketography, on Flickr

I set this up with black poster board as the background and a white poster board on the countertop in the kitchen. I used two sets of overhead lights to light the scene and on camera flash as a fill light.

ISO 200
f/4.0
1/250 sec.

Converted to B&W with Nik Silver Efex Pro 2
 
Day 5

Work was super busy tonight and I had a dinner date with the wife, so some instagram goodness is as good as it gets. I still like the composition and subject in this one. And the theme was relevant to how much it snowed today.


Day 5 - Instagram Goodness by Boaketography, on Flickr
 
Day 6

Abstract


Day 6 by Boaketography, on Flickr


A bit of a happy accident, I'll admit. I've never done anything abstract like this before.

I was playing around with shutter speeds and the wind was blowing on the subject. I'm really happy with the way the colors turned out.

f/5.6
100 mm
ISO 200
1/100 sec.
 
Day 7

My brother in law is in town visiting with his girlfriend and her dog. This is Kiara, she's a bit of a mixed breed but very well trained and makes for a very obedient model.

I decided on a square crop here because I though the pose of the subject lent itself to this type of framing.


7/31 by Boaketography, on Flickr
 
Day 8

Snowing hard here again. I liked the way the snow was sticking to the limbs of this bare tree and the way it was lit by the street light frame right.


8/31 by Boaketography, on Flickr

17mm
f/4.0
1/125 sec
ISO 800
 
Day 10

Shot this in portrait orientation because it was the narrowest part of the lake and I wanted to use the two sides to frame the photo and draw the eye into the middle. This is the first bit of sunlight we've had in a couple weeks so it's been really hard to get any decent landscape shots in.


10/31 by Boaketography, on Flickr
 
Day 11

This is the first time I've attempted any off camera lighting. I used a construction flood light and some tissue paper as a diffuser to create a softbox effect.


11/31 by Boaketography, on Flickr
 
Anyone have any comments on any of these shots?

Please, throw them at me
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom