What's new

Quick help with a new delimma please. D60 vs. D3000

And correct me if I am wrong. I am just trying to learn all the perks before I try to do this.

The D90 has internal focusing or something so you can buy the cheaper lens? Or something like that?
 
The D90 and higher models have an in-body autofocusing motor which allows the D90 to use the older "screwdriver" AF system lenses which date from roughly 1987 to 2009. The D3000 will allow you to mount, and shoot photos with almost ANY Nikkor lens made since 1959. But it will not autofocus with AF or AF-D lenses.

Today, there are many affordable AF-S Nikkor lenses, plus choices from Tamron and Sigma in 3rd party, affordable lenses. All of the newer Nikon lens designs are AF-S G series lenses. Yesterday, Nikon announced a new, very lightweight 85mm f/3.5 AF-S DX macro lens with Vibration Reduction. Currently there is a low-cost $199 35mm 1.8 AF-S Nikkor, plus the 50/1.4, 60mm and 105mm macros, and of course other lenses that are offered "only" in AF-S focusing (200,300,400,500,600, 14-24,24-70,70-200,200-400,etc).

The D3000 will allow you to buy any Nikkor lens and slap it on there and shoot photos. So, that gives you 50 years' worth of manual and AF lenses to choose from. The production total is 50 million Nikkor lenses.
 
Thanks, I just remember reading on here that the D90 and upper models had something built internally into them so you could actually save money on the lenses. I see what you are saying about the focusing. What about the vibration reduction?
 
In all seriousness, get the D90. Sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than permission in a relationship. This is one of those times.

I think you're right. Let's see what happens today. ;)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom