RAW or JPG

Do you shoot RAW or JPG

• Total voters
Yes, you're right on that one. Until the raw has been converted to jpeg, tiff or some other recognizable image format, all you have is a lot of unassembled data on a card.

It's gonna be processed in the camera or out of the camera.

How I understand the different to be is, hope it does confuse everyone more.

JPG is like Film it only records the image based on setting when the image was taken. RAW on the hand record everything including JPG setting and the data that was not need to meet the JPG setting. With JPGs Once data is removed it cannot be put back. As for print quality it should be the same.

I Strictly shoot JPG and do little post proceeding.

Outdoor Photography had a good article on this subject a month or so ago. It basically comes down to personal workflow habits though. Are you willing to sit down and spend time in the post processing the RAW file. With the newer DLSR and higher end P&S, they will process the image better then an unexperience person in PS, hell even an experienced person in some cases. There are photographers who will only shoot in JPEG, well named ones too.

With the custom curves facility of the D70 there's more control over what you're given in a JPG too. You don't have the flexibility of RAW of course....but then you don't have the higher workflow either.

Jeff Canes said:
RAW on the hand record everything including JPG setting and the data that was not need to meet the JPG setting. Once data is removed it cannot be put back.

Jeff, I did not quite get this. Would you mind elaborating on this?

Using your camera's RAW software allows you to do the same quality of adjustments that the camera does interally.

Okay.. an illustration:

Take an egg for example. When you take a photograph it's like cooking the egg. A RAW photograph is just that. A plain cooked egg. A JPG photograph is one that you seasoned with salt, added cheese, maybe some peppers, and whatever other goodies you like with your eggs.

You can't remove the seasonings once they are added to the egg, they are there permanently for better or worse.

But if you have just the plain egg you can add whatever you want or don't want after the fact. Don't like peppers? Than don't add them. Want to see how salt affects your image? Add some, and see how it tastes. Too much? With RAW you can add more or less, whatever you fancy. With JPG you're stuck with how much you added when you cooked the egg.

Sorry if this is more confusing than helpful. But hopefully it demonstrates the difference.

Beautiful illustration....makes perfect sense....thanks Jadin.

Well I was an "all the time" Large .JPG shooter until my trip out west. First, I have crap glass. I mean it is really bad! But even still when I have a shot that I KNOW is important at least to me, I will always shoot in RAW and bracket the hell out of it. What I found? Well for sure if you are interpolating images you will definately realize the clear superiority of RAW in one full size view. RAW kicks the crap out of .jpg on res hands down. RAW is a PIA but it is king for quality. Too bad all I have are 2 256 cards :cry: that'll change soon enough but I am become a RAW shooter more and more every day. DO IT!

As far as printing? The only shots I have ever printed came from RAW so I guess I am not versed enough to say how .jpg does for enlargements or straight print :oops:

Ditto on jadin analogy very good

Danalec99 made a small edit to my post, hope the change along with Jadin post helps

danalec99 said:
Jeff, I did not quite get this. Would you mind elaborating on this?
Jeff Canes said:
RAW on the hand record everything including JPG setting and the data that was not need to meet the JPG setting. With JPGs Once data is removed it cannot be put back.

Did I make the change to your post??! :shock:
I think With JPEG was not there when I quoted your words! or was it?? Did I accidentally delete the words?? :? :scratch:

Most reactions

Back