REAL NAMES :(

Opps, I meant first and last. The weird part was the site asked for a screen name when you signed up, but right next to it in parentheses is your full real name. I don't get the point of that...

When I signed up for the TPF I just used the username I use absolutely everywhere... Not figuring that it would also be my screen name.... And disappointed that I can't change it anymore... I would have picked something different, something flashy or interesting...

Oh well. I'll get over it.

That's good to know, but everyone (well I suppose not everyone, because I just started) knows me now as pmsnel... So I will leave it like this and blame my blondness...

I actually played World of Warcraft on and off for 4 years.

I belong to a of forum where that is exactly how it works. You use your real name as your screen name.

I think your missing the point, people don't play the game to use it as social networking. They use the forum to communicate about the game and they don't want the real life cross over.

I was personally flabbergasted when they suggested it.

The idea behind it defeats all the purposes of playing a game, you play games to get away from real life.

Safety, it is so easy these to days to find anyone if you have there real name due to facebook, the example of the Blizzard Employee shows that it is easily done.

Gender issues, as you can imagine World of Warcraft is massively male dominated it is therefore frustrating for those of the opposite gender who are often harassed by younger or sometimes older members of the community this problem would be exasperated by the change.

Other issue's like safety for the armed forces or police and racial issue's were also raised.

You will be glad to hear they have since removed the decision to implement this feature.

Last edited:
You will be glad to hear they have since removed the decision to implement this feature.

:thumbup: Smartest thing Blizz has done in years.

Even though I haven't played in a while, I could only imagine the problems using real names would cause. There was enough harassment even with just toon names - it would horrible be if the bad people got hold of peoples real info.

Guess what...........my name is Michele!!!! I'm pretty tricky:sexywink:

I actually played World of Warcraft on and off for 4 years.

I still do :p

Yup, the whole idea was of course crazy... however it wouldn't have affected me much as i don't go on the official forums.

At the time tho, there was also talk of being able to click a player in game and see thier email address, so you can add them to your battle.net. Another ridiculous idea, as you need your email to also be your loggin username.... way to get your account hacked blizz!
I think they would rather have people buy thier authenticators if thier worried about account security, but they are a business, so of course they want that.

Most reactions

Back