reason for photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Cell-Phone Picture, Philippe Kahn, 1997

It's quite literally a snapshot of the persons baby. It holds no artistic nor photographic merit save the context behind the tool used to create it. I mean after your long argument that snapshots aren't worth anything you're now holding up a snapshot as value. Indeed the history of photography is littered with snapshots that are only important because of the moment itself that they capture.

I think you're honestly trying to make an argument where there isn't one. All you're basically saying is that lots of people treat photography casually and that's true. The very same is true of people who drive cars; who make coffee; who draw; who go to pottery class once a week every week for ten years and yet still can't make a pot that isn't a bit on the wobbly side.

People do things for different reasons and sometimes people want to just be part of the crowd and make puppet photos with their shoe on mondays. That isn't devaluing photography, that's just a different use of it. Alongside it you've got utterly outstanding photos being taken every single day. If you choose to ignore the latter and focus on the former then, yes, the world is falling apart and photography is getting worse. Photography and people aren't really the problem, its your own personal choice of what you're choosing to expose yourself too which is tainting your viewpoint.

Again stop trying to define what other people should do with their cameras. Worry about your own camera and your own desires.

Or are we all stuck trying to duplicate those photos as the only way to be taken as a photo taker?

taking thousands of pics of your cat sleeping, as is soooo common,, versus having to paratchute into Indochina to be the next sean flynn

You've made almost fifty posts in three days, yet you do not appear to have posted any of your own photographic content, experiences, or questions about equipment, technical operation, or composition. You've posted merely opinion, after opinion, after opinion, and when you've found your opinions challenged you stop responding to the line of discussion that you yourself started. What exactly is your purpose for being on this forum?

Or are we all stuck trying to duplicate those photos as the only way to be taken as a photo taker?

taking thousands of pics of your cat sleeping, as is soooo common,, versus having to paratchute into Indochina to be the next sean flynn

You've made almost fifty posts in three days, yet you do not appear to have posted any of your own photographic content, experiences, or questions about equipment, technical operation, or composition. You've posted merely opinion, after opinion, after opinion, and when you've found your opinions challenged you stop responding to the line of discussion that you yourself started. What exactly is your purpose for being on this forum?

perhaps what, 15% of posters on here put a photo up. Shouldn't you ***** at them instead

Who is the pious soul that can pass judgment on another's artistic expression?
Too much Bokeh, out of focus vs soft focus, mundane snapshot verses photography, too much post processing, ad nauseam.

I too have strong opinions about what passes for art and photography and several other issues; but that does not keep the world from changing.

My photography reflects what I think photography should be. I will let others pursue their ideals. If I like it, I will say so; if I do not like it, I will usually just shrug and pass it off to changing times.

Many fads will come and go, some will stay and become art forms. That is way the photographic world turns.

perhaps what, 15% of posters on here put a photo up. Shouldn't you ***** at them instead
No, because you're being officially un-masked today as the former member called "pocketshaver," who was banned for exactly these kinds of threads. They go nowhere, incite fights between members who otherwise have no issues among themselves, while you sit back and contribute nothing else.

Troll. Please don't try to join here again or the same thing will happen.

High Definition Reflection lol

Nice work mods- you are appreciated

Jeez Peg, now that’s a fine and helpful “how do you do”!
It says you’re a Staff Member and a Supporting Member. Well you’re not supporting Bedington very much. Bed joined TWO DAYS ago and already has a post!!! Instead of welcoming him and giving him a pat on the back for a good start, you’re informing him his post redundant and wasn’t needed.
He has no idea what has and hasn’t been posted before. What post by ANYBODY has not come up in the last 15 years???
You should be embarrassed!!!
SS
You should, actually. You literally don't know what you're talking about here. FYI, a Supporting Member means only someone who gives financial or other value to the forum, such as the unpaid time devoted to moderating. It does not mean acting as an emotional support animal.

"He has no idea what has and hasn't been posted before" - actually, this now-former member knew exactly what he was doing. As Staff Members, we tend to notice similar topics and conversational styles which can lead to a little background digging.

Best to think twice before you attack one of the staff members like this, who work quietly in the background noticing things and taking actions that make the forum run smoothly - and keep trolls under the bridge, as opposed to feeding them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back