Recent Wedding...Meg and Ben (12 pics)

They all look great, really love the soft look of 8 & 9

Thanks Ed!

3 4 8 and 9 for me! just beautiful... bet they are thrilled. well done x

Thanks jemmy! well, they haven't seen them yet, but I hope they will be thrilled when they do. :)

This may be a noob question, but I'm curious how you get the soft look in #8 and #9. Is this a lens trick or post production trick in PS?

This may be a noob question, but I'm curious how you get the soft look in #8 and #9. Is this a lens trick or post production trick in PS?

Hey chris,
No lens trick. Its all in the post processing. The procedure for both #8 and #9 are different. They are a mixture of things that I learned from seeing other posts in the forum over time, and also just playing around on my own to see what looks good to me, and what other people like.

#8 was done by duplicating the layer, applying a gaussian blur of 4 (4 would be for a web size image, and something like 14 for the original size image). Then select the eraser tool at 50% opacity, and erase the blur layer. Then flatten the image. Sharpen last using USM settings 150, 0.3, 0. You may or may not want to do some selective brightening on the couple's faces using the lasso tool and Levels, and also some slight saturation on the flowers, but dont overdo it.

#9 is a different procedure altogether and much more involved. I got your PM on that one, and will reply to that. Thanks for asking! :)

NJ, I really love #8 the most. I love the soft glow you have going on with it. You also captured the beads on her dress which I know is hard to do with a white dress. Very excellent work.

Oh, my other favorite is of the girls holding the groom. Too funny!!

Looks like you have some slight vignetting in 8 and 9 also. Is it, or is it part of the gaussian technique you described.

I love #8 and #9 also. They look so great. I am always excited to see your work. It inspires me. I also like you explanations on how you edit in photoshop. Very clear and easy to understand.
Keep up the GREAT work!!!

NJ, I really love #8 the most. I love the soft glow you have going on with it. You also captured the beads on her dress which I know is hard to do with a white dress. Very excellent work.

Oh, my other favorite is of the girls holding the groom. Too funny!!

Thanks as always oldnavy. I really appreciate your comments. :)

Looks like you have some slight vignetting in 8 and 9 also. Is it, or is it part of the gaussian technique you described.

Yes, I have some vignetting on #8 and #9, but I do that last in a separate layer. There a many ways you can do vignetting in PS. My way is not anything special. I create a new layer, then choose the elliptical marquee tool with a 50 px feather, and draw an oval covering just the inside of the frame. Then, I go to Select > Inverse and so that the outside of the oval is selected. Then, I use the black paint bucket at 25% opacity and start painting the selected area. I might use it once for a light vignette or 2 to 3 times for a stronger vignette. It depends on your individual taste. Thats just the way I do it. Like I said, there are many ways to do it. :)

Just great! I think number 8 is one of my favoritest wedding shots ever!
Hey I know I said I wouldnt do another wedding but I have my second coming up soon. And I just did my first 'nsfw' pics too. We seem to be diong the same things at the same timeline. LOL Except you're kicking my ass in the technical department!

From #3 through #9 very nice work, as for the others you made the best of a bad lighting situation. #6 would be my favourite.

Here's my comments on each for what they are worth. I remember your great engagement shots of this couple.

1. Both 1 & 2 look very dark. White dress looks ok but the rest of the surrounds are underexposed. Allow more ambient light when using your flash.

3. Very nice portrait of the couple.

4. Something odd with the soft focus effect and too much contrast for my liking. I'd also remove the beer can in front of the step.

5 & 6 are nice fun images.

7. Nice shot of the book. In the UK its normal for the guests to put in a small message rather than just sign the book though.... Thought that was odd :confused:

8. I normally don't like the soft focus effect but it seems to work here. I also dont like the vignetting on all your images but again the slight vignette here seems to work.

9. Nice image although I must say I think it's overworked. If that's what they want then that's what you give but I'd tone down the soft focus and remove the vignette then it would be a cracker.

10. Set the camera to AV and try that or better still shoot in manual (using a metered exposure) when using your flash. The camera will expose the scene as normal and the flash will provide fill. Try varying degrees of FEC to get the right exposure. Practice and you'll learn what's needed and when.

11. Looks just like a snap shot and is not your best here (I'd have left it out).

12. Beautiful moment but I'd say you need to work on your use of flash. I'd also crop out the lights as they are a big distraction. Your eyes are immediately drawn to them. A different angle might have worked better.

Great series and after seeing your wonderful engagement shots I expected exactly what you provided.

The couple will I'm sure be delighted.

JD

Here's my comments on each for what they are worth. I remember your great engagement shots of this couple.

1. Both 1 & 2 look very dark. White dress looks ok but the rest of the surrounds are underexposed. Allow more ambient light when using your flash.

3. Very nice portrait of the couple.

4. Something odd with the soft focus effect and too much contrast for my liking. I'd also remove the beer can in front of the step.

5 & 6 are nice fun images.

7. Nice shot of the book. In the UK its normal for the guests to put in a small message rather than just sign the book though.... Thought that was odd :confused:

8. I normally don't like the soft focus effect but it seems to work here. I also dont like the vignetting on all your images but again the slight vignette here seems to work.

9. Nice image although I must say I think it's overworked. If that's what they want then that's what you give but I'd tone down the soft focus and remove the vignette then it would be a cracker.

10. Set the camera to AV and try that. The camera will expose the scene as normal and the flash will provide fill. Try varying degrees of FEC to get the right exposure. Practice and you'll learn what's needed and when.

11. Looks just like a snap shot and is not your best here (I'd have left it out).

12. Beautiful moment but I'd say you need to work on your use of flash. I'd also crop out the lights as they are a big distraction. Your eyes are immediately drawn to them. A different angle might have worked better.

Great series and after seeing your wonderful engagement shots I expected exactly what you provided.

The couple will I'm sure be delighted.

JD

First off, let me say that I really appreciate the detailed analysis and critique! In reply,

1 and 2. This was from a 50mm f/1.8 with no flash. It was during the ceremony when they were announced as husband and wife, so I never intended to get many shots during the ceremony in the church, as I wanted to stay put in my seat and let the paid pro do his job. But I can see exactly what you are saying.

3. Thanks.

4. I kinda like it myself.

5, 6, 7, and 8. Thanks.

9. Good idea, I may try that. :)

10, 11, and 12. I will definitely work on that for next time, since I know I need more improvement in this area.

Thanks for the good advice and nice words. Very much appreciated. I certainly hope they will be delighted when they see them.

BTW, I worked on some of the photoshop items we discussed earlier. I'm getting close to what I want. Thanks again.

Just great! I think number 8 is one of my favoritest wedding shots ever!
Hey I know I said I wouldnt do another wedding but I have my second coming up soon. And I just did my first 'nsfw' pics too. We seem to be diong the same things at the same timeline. LOL Except you're kicking my ass in the technical department!

Hey thanks Kathi for your great comments! aha, I knew you would eventually do another wedding! LOL. Good for you. I hope it goes great. Be sure to post your pics! :) And are you going to post your nsfw pics? I promise to be objective and professional! ;-)

From #3 through #9 very nice work, as for the others you made the best of a bad lighting situation. #6 would be my favourite.

Thank you peniole. Your comments are very much appreciated!

BTW, I worked on some of the photoshop items we discussed earlier. I'm getting close to what I want. Thanks again.

No problem chris!

First off, let me say that I really appreciate the detailed analysis and critique! In reply,

1 and 2. This was from a 50mm f/1.8 with no flash. It was during the ceremony when they were announced as husband and wife, so I never intended to get many shots during the ceremony in the church, as I wanted to stay put in my seat and let the paid pro do his job. But I can see exactly what you are saying.

3. Thanks.

4. I kinda like it myself.

5, 6, 7, and 8. Thanks.

9. Good idea, I may try that. :)

10, 11, and 12. I will definitely work on that for next time, since I know I need more improvement in this area.

Thanks for the good advice and nice words. Very much appreciated. I certainly hope they will be delighted when they see them.

Regards 1 & 2, they just look under exposed. Did you shoot them in RAW as they are recoverable. I've had a play with the jpgs and they do brighten up a bit with some playing around. I'd remove the vignette from these as this adds to the dark look of the images.

Glad you like the comments. You've done a great job and I'm sure the couple will be delighted. Just remember sometimes less is more :) I did a quick edit of No2 but then saw you don't want edits! I can PM you to show you how dark your image is..... or I can delete with no worries.

CHeers
Jim

Most reactions

New Topics

Back