Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Resist the urge to:
  1. Apologize for your picture. You're taking the effort to become a photographer.
  2. Apologize for your opinion. You're taking the effort to respond.
  3. Add text that explains how difficult the shot was to take, how bad the conditions were or how brave you were. It doesn't matter except to your mommy. It's the picture that counts.
  4. Tell the viewers how everyone else in the world loves this shot, it's your favorite shot and your dying aunt requested it be tattooed on her back - It doesn't matter. It's the picture that counts.
  5. Say that you don't know anything. Either your comment will make sense or be so off the wall that everyone will know that you don't know anything without you warning us and spoiling the fun.
  6. Say that you're new at this. - see previous
  7. Act smart by answering a very basic question. One role of the Forum is to educate new people and part of that role is teaching them to look for answers rather than being spoon fed every time they cry. If they should know this info, then tell them what its called, where and how to find the knowledge. The effort to find it will be worth it to them.
  8. Make ad hominem attacks on other responders. Just be cool and maybe they'll go away.
  9. Add yet another attaboy to a post. If you don't have anything substantive to say, don't.
  10. Tell the poster that their dog is cute, their baby is cute, their wife is cute. This is a photo site and cute subjects are not the issue here. If you think they're so damn cute send the OP a PM - or better yet, adopt them.
  11. Press submit before you do at least a cursory check for spelling and grammar. Advanced or young age or lack of education doesn't excuse being seen as careless too often. Abraham Lincoln or Thomas Jefferson didn't have spell checkers. (Typos I understand.)
  12. Respond to this post and tell me off before reading the first 20 posts in any 3 Forums. Then you can tell me where I'm wrong.
:lol:

I did forget to say that everything I post, everything, is my opinion.
If I ever discover there really is a Supreme Being and I begin channeling her, I'll mention it.

and there I was thinking this was the friendly photo forum

does it matter if I type this wearing a black t-shirt or does it have to be a blue t-shirt?

does it matter if I type this wearing a black t-shirt or does it have to be a blue t-shirt?

Am I inferring that you took offense at my list?
Which one(s) bothered you because I'll be certain to change my opinion.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm thinking more of a long sleeved shirt, maroon perhaps.

I am guilty of several

1. Apologize for your picture. You're taking the effort to become a photographer.
  2. Apologize for your opinion. You're taking the effort to respond.
  3. Add text that explains how difficult the shot was to take, how bad the conditions were or how brave you were. It doesn't matter except to your mommy. It's the picture that counts.
  4. -
  5. -
  6. -
  7. Act smart by answering a very basic question. One role of the Forum is to educate new people and part of that role is teaching them to look for answers rather than being spoon fed every time they cry. If they should know this info, then tell them what its called, where and how to find the knowledge. The effort to find it will be worth it to them.
  8. -
  9. Add yet another attaboy to a post. If you don't have anything substantive to say, don't.
  10. -
  11. -
  12. -

I do not feel too evil though ;)

And I could add some further bad habits, but it is up to you to find out :p

Yes, but stand in place, quietly, while posting.

I'm sorry for this but... I just didn't know... I'm rather new... It was rough at work today. I had to log in, sit down in the unconfortable chair of all unconfortable chears, work, and look at this forum. Then I read this thread and was taken back at how true you where... you true person man (hey it's the best I could come up with).

by the way I think that you dog it cute :)
and...
I think that you are wrong...

I had to say it... :p

How'd I do?

Guilty! Guilty! ;)

No really - I think this post made my day. :)

(Also guilty of adding a smiley after every sentence... except this one)

You've gotta learn to chill, Traveller. Don't sweat the small stuff. And people not following your 'rules' when they post is small stuff. Just roll your eyes at the behaviour*/posts you don't like, and move on.

(*I'm Canadian, so I'm allowed to spell it with a 'u'.)

(And yes, I'm aware I don't follow several of your rules. So sue me. And don't hurt yourself when you get down off that high horse. ;) )

... to leave communication at the door and make this a 1950s classroom situation.

... stay with a forum that has developed into what it is and try to turn it into one that you would like when it isn't how you like it - the choice of forums in the internet is endless.

Am I inferring that you took offense at my list?
Which one(s) bothered you because I'll be certain to change my opinion.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

didn't take offence just didn't agree with most of it.

now if your thread had said "if people are going to reply to my threads I prefer them to do the following" then no problem, but if I create a thread in any of the galleries I welcome ALL replies no matter what that reply is.

If people want to say "thats cute" "cool" "like it" "great shot" they can.

If people want to point out my errors, they can.

If people want to rubbish my shots, feel free

If I were to obey your rules then basically I'm not allowed to say "great shot" etc etc only point out peoples errors or tell them to take it again but this time do such and such.

Well I'm sorry but if I like a photo I will tell them I like it!

People will soon leave this forum if all they get is negative feedback.

I know a lot of teachers, people who teach infants, teenagers, adults, people with severe mental or physical disabilities and people who teach photography, and there is one thing that they can't stress enough, if you keep pointing out the errors and don't praise them for good work they will give up and not learn anything.

Over the past few months I've seen a big increase in rude, negative comments from a lot of different members and a lot of people have left this forum because of it, I know a few people I keep in touch with on Messenger who have told me they no longer want to post here and that saddens me.

Over the past few months I've seen a big increase in rude, negative comments from a lot of different members and a lot of people have left this forum because of it, I know a few people I keep in touch with on Messenger who have told me they no longer want to post here and that saddens me.

I know I've only been on here for a short time, but that doesn't really match with my own experience of commenting. If anything I rather feel that the comments go too far in the other direction - certainly where direct comments about an image are concerned. This is probably the most mild mannered forum I use (and I use a good few). The most noticeable thing is the different tone that comes from having a sizeable percentage of female members involved (though I did stumble across a card making forum yesterday and that was a very strange place indeed). I guess if people want to leave and have good reasons for that, then that is a choice they are free to make, but it does surprise me a little that anything in TPF provokes that kind of reaction.

I know I've only been on here for a short time, but that doesn't really match with my own experience of commenting. If anything I rather feel that the comments go too far in the other direction - certainly where direct comments about an image are concerned. This is probably the most mild mannered forum I use (and I use a good few). The most noticeable thing is the different tone that comes from having a sizeable percentage of female members involved (though I did stumble across a card making forum yesterday and that was a very strange place indeed). I guess if people want to leave and have good reasons for that, then that is a choice they are free to make, but it does surprise me a little that anything in TPF provokes that kind of reaction.

I think it depends on the personality of the person posting the image ... but also on where he or she stands in photography ... beginners certainly need more nice words than people who are quite far on their learning curve and are used to serious critique.

And also serious critique can be put in clear words, whithout inflicting pain.

Most reactions

Back