Resist the urge

I was pleased at the responses; if people are polarized it is because they care.

I have several comments which I will number (because I just started to use the numbering button and it's fun)
  1. Someone referred to these as 'rules', well they clearly aren't. They are guidelines that I try to follow and would recommend because I think they would improve the level of interaction in the Forum. (When I don't follow them, I do feel a little pang of guilt.)
  2. I would like to expand a little on #9 (Resist the urge to) Add yet another attaboy to a post. If you don't have anything substantive to say, don't. In my eyes an Attaboy is a content-free positive comment. These may make the OP happy but they don't help anyone be a better photographer. The OP doesn't know why you like things and you haven't don't any analysis to figure out why - no one profits. It's the difference between eating a sugar cube and a great meal.
  3. I was the most surprised by these two responses
    ... to leave communication at the door and make this a 1950s classroom situation.
    ... stay with a forum that has developed into what it is and try to turn it into one that you would like when it isn't how you like it - the choice of forums in the internet is endless.
This may be a surprise to LaFoto but my putting down ideas that people talk about in PMs is actually 'communication.' It may not be in the form that LaFoto understands, but it is communication. Things are not always great when people can do and say anything in a Forum any way that they want. (For example, we can't say **** because it may offend someone.) Guidelines for grammar and syntax improve language. Sensible guidelines for posting and behavior maximize good communication in a Forum; they don't curtail content.

She may not agree, or like it, but these are my ideas for individual actions that would actually make communications better. I would suggest that she pick out my suggestions that would hurt the quality of postings - and then don't follow them.

In her second quote, she says that if I don't like the way the Forum functions, I shouldn't try to make it better, I should leave. Well, I can't think of a response that doesn't violate my own Guideline #8.

Lastly, I would say that there is a surprising amount of response elicited when people post what they actually think, rather than just skating over the top of issues. Perhaps people are really energized by actual, real communication?

I think your too in love with yourself and your voice honestly.
attaboy.

hey boys, I thought we are past that stage :p

calm down, smoke some grass .. I won't join in though since I hate any drugs beyond alcohol ;)

I mean, honestly, we are all grown up and should consider that the written word often is interpreted in a slightly different way from the original intent. Everyone is biased in way. I am not free of this either.

Resist the urge to;
8a. Take ad hominem attacks seriously- Let it go.

Resist the urge to:

1. Tell me how to post.
2. Pretend you're the high and mighty rule maker on TPF

Some of these things are problems, some are not. None are yours to fix.

I'm tired of your corrections on how people should act, mainly the OTE thing and this. In fact many of these 'problems' aren't problems at all:

-no one likes someone who doesn't know anything, but acts like they do,
-no one likes a new photographer that presents themselves as more than they are,
-attaboy posts keep the photo at the top of the page; it's hard to get useful comments when your thread is 3 pages back,
-same goes for 'aww how cute.
-you're not 'making the forum better' as you put it, you're making it more hostile.

In threads like this, you'll have people who agree with you, and people who don't. I agree with some of your points, but I do not agree with your right to tell people how they need to be acting. My best advice is: get over it.

From the point of view of a new member of this forum...

Dont be too hard on yourself... i was looking at a few forums for photography and i think this is the best, everybody has different comments, but i see that as a good thing.

If you want a comment or advice you get it... from a wide range of people.

Some of that advice may seem a little harsh, some of it might not be honest or truthful... but one thing is for sure, if you ask enough questions and you listen to enough answers... you get a better understanding of the hobby.

I for one, have asked alot of questions... and ive learned a great deal, for which im thankful... thats why i keep coming back for more :)

I am at the point now where some of things you guys have tought me, are being asked again by other newbies... so i have an insight and im able to give my experience... if only a little.

The only rules are, use common sense, and try to be honest without being rude... it can be done!

But to all those better educated in photography and who give there advice daily for free on this forum... i salute you.

Keep up the great work ;)

Most reactions

Back