Rolling Shots Questions

also get an nd filter if you want to do this during the day. it will prevent things from getting overexposed.
Bingo. ND filter will allow you to take your shutter speeds down to 1/30 or less. For me, it's practically mandatory for motion blur on a sunny day. I also agree that 1 second is too long.

There is no set specific shutter speed to use. There are multiple things to look at. Amount of blur wanted, do you want wheel spinning blur only or do you want wheel and background blur. You can get a decent amount of wheel/background blur even at shutter speeds around 1/100th+ of a second, just depends how fast the car is actually moving. ND filters are generally not needed, but it makes it really nice because, shooting at f/16-f/22 isn't always the best.

Just a few examples I have. I was using a Nikon CP filter which kills around 1.3 stops light if i recall.

This one is at 1/125th shutter (im sure we were going 80+ mph for this shot).
GNB_0130 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

1/80th shutter
GNB_0174 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

1/40th shutter
GNB_0117 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks for all the info guys, I bought the mount just to help me along with what I'm trying to accomplish.
The next time I can, I will try to get the shots with/without the mount and post up some results.

Drive down the highway. Have you friend go 70mph. Have the driver of your car slowly pass him on the right side to be able to ge every angle. Shoot at 1/60th or 1/80th with the aperture to compensate for the exposure.

f/9 1/80th ISO 100 24mm.
6068098189_dd7e2003d2_z.jpg

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, 1/50 sec @f/16. My son the photographer took this of me in my Magnum a few years ago:

Magnum-1.jpg

Those shots are pretty much what I'm looking for, just with a lot more aggression.

More aggression means getting a rig so you can get the camera lower to the ground.

This is handheld with a kit lens, 1/40th of a second or so is what I used. Its simple once you get the hang of it.

DSC_0120.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back