Saturday afternoons are great for football.

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Really have a great time shooting college football in the afternoons. The lighting is so much better and some of the plays are amazing.

The fun is just starting by shooting, then you get to import the images and make lots of creative decisions. This is the same shot cropped differently. Neither is wrong and has it reasons for why it was cropped as it was.

Background on both. I had to straighten the image and it caused me to cut off the feet. So I had to consider how to crop it from there.

1) Cropped landscape: I liked the way that this shows the way the receiver had to distort himself to try to get the ball. The biggest reason to leave it like this was the headset on the right edge of the shot is the head coach and I like how the play got his attention.

Baylor-2st half 0967.jpg

2) Cropped portrait and cut off the feet but it isolates just the two players.

Baylor-2st half 0967.jpg

Again, there is no right or wrong way to do it and I think both images are strong and tell a story.

Nice. I prefer the cropped version - I think it’s stronger but...if your viewers will know who the coach is then I see your point. Too bad about the feet, looks like you may have had some turf being kicked up which adds to these type of shots in my opinion.

Another vote on the cropped version. I watched the game on TV after the Oklahoma game go Sooners!

Nice. I prefer the cropped version - I think it’s stronger but...if your viewers will know who the coach is then I see your point. Too bad about the feet, looks like you may have had some turf being kicked up which adds to these type of shots in my opinion.

Definitely prefer the cropped version; well captured, Ron.

Another vote on the cropped version. I watched the game on TV after the Oklahoma game go Sooners!

Thanks everyone. I see the points to the portrait cropped version and as I said neither is wrong, it's a personal thing.

Too bad you weren't at the OU game and got the Sooner Schooner taking the tumble! I like the cropped version best also.

I like BOTH, for different reasons.
For the PLAY, for the team and coach, I choose #1.
For the player and parent, I choose #2.
The parents don't care about the coach or the bench in the background, only their kid.​
For the yearbook, both would work, and it would come down to which picture the page editor would select.

I've had to make these kinds of multiple crops of a single frame, play and tight crop, and there is NO, ONE right answer.
The 3rd crop is a TIGHT crop, say waist up.

It is a great shot , No Doubt! I have a preference for the vertical version. Either way though the catch that you managed to get in focus and with the perfect timing, just outstanding!

Too bad you weren't at the OU game and got the Sooner Schooner taking the tumble! I like the cropped version best also.

Thanks Dean. I actually asked for that game but got this one instead.

I like BOTH, for different reasons.
For the PLAY, for the team and coach, I choose #1.
For the player and parent, I choose #2.
The parents don't care about the coach or the bench in the background, only their kid.​
For the yearbook, both would work, and it would come down to which picture the page editor would select.

I've had to make these kinds of multiple crops of a single frame, play and tight crop, and there is NO, ONE right answer.
The 3rd crop is a TIGHT crop, say waist up.

Thank you.

It is a great shot , No Doubt! I have a preference for the vertical version. Either way though the catch that you managed to get in focus and with the perfect timing, just outstanding!

Thank you.

Very good action.......

Thank you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back