Second Attempt on Landscape

eddlum25

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to the Yorkshire Dale National Park for a walk a while back looking for potential places to photograph. Came across this location looking across from a farm land. Can't resist to take a snap shot of the place. Here are 2 identical photo with a different crop. Looking for suggestions from anyone as how to photograph this location on my next visit. (Picture was taken with Canon 55-250mm IS lens)

6207565336_3dddf131ab_b.jpg

6203566950_82e1d399c5_b.jpg

Thanks in advance.

next time get closer to the ground. You will be able to get some more of the foreground in the shot and make it more interesting. Not everything has to be done at eye level.

So, is it a snapshot, or a landscape? Of the two I prefer the second; the stone walls add a nice point of interest and I like the angle at which they cut through the image.

When you look at this scene, what is the most important point for you? There are lots of choices and opportunities for you to single out the parts. However, what if you say "all of it". To help emphasize the whole horizontal scene in the upper one, crop out the sky until it is just above the mesa or hill on the right.
In the lower one to include the wall, move the camera down to get even more field and less sky.

Next, hike down to that stone wall. Narrow your subject to just the wall. Think about curves, textures, contrasts of stone shapes. Include the grass, but try just the stone, too.

Zoom in on those cliffs. There looks like some neat rock formations and contrasts of color.

Don't always try to include everything. Break up the large scene into its segments.

I really like the color and tones of your image and #2 is my choice. I like that wall. The sky is a nice blah, but we do not need to see a lot of it, so crop it down. It is a nice grey/blue color which fits in nicely, but it does not add a "wow factor", so I think the rest of the scene will gain more importance,more of our attention, without a lot of sky pulling our eyes away to it.

Last edited:
Thanks for your fast response. To me it was a quick snapshot as I haven't stop at the location long enough to find the best potential. Will visit again in a nice sunny morning.

Thanks for pointing it out the stone wall as the point of interest. This is definitely in my list.

When you look at this scene, what is the most important point for you?

The stone wall without any doubt.

Thanks rambler. Some solid tips there ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back