Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shocker I did a snoot shot. :)

Self Portrait - Snoot - 013 tpf.jpg

I think you created a great effect with the snoot that adds character and mood to the shot. The issue, in my humble opinion at least, is the shadow that's almost overlapping your left eye. Of course having another light source to overcome this would defeat the purpose of the snoot. My suggestion would be to try and position the flash in the middle ground between where it is now and right in front of you (but I'm sure you've already thought of this).

Yeah that shadow bugged me too. Doing this is really challenging. :lol: Have to line up all the elements, then lean back, hope I got it right, trigger the shot, go look at the back of the camera to see if I got it right, be annoyed at my stupid facial expressions, try again, etc. Too funny.

I may have to try again. :)

Any other thoughts good or bad?

Don't listen to mmcduffie ;) ... I'm glad to see you here, though that black spot in your face next to your nose ... has it been an obstacle in life before??? ;) :greenpbl:

Snoot photos ... very interesting, I might need to venture into that field myself, too, eventually. I like the outcome (mostly). Can - I mean: is this "allowed" in "snoot-flashing"? - a second light-source be used to counterbalance such heavy shadows like that of your nose? Are there "rules"?

nice shot - i'd maybe look for a new model :D

HAHAHAHAHAHA.... ZZZZZZZZZZZING! :lol:
Nice one! <chuckle>

Don't listen to mmcduffie ;) ... I'm glad to see you here, though that black spot in your face next to your nose ... has it been an obstacle in life before??? ;) :greenpbl:

hahahahaha... you should have seen the shots without that... it put the creator of that horrific planet-darkening shadow in real perspective. I spent a good bit of my time last night going "my god my nose is huge..." :lol:

Snoot photos ... very interesting, I might need to venture into that field myself, too, eventually. I like the outcome (mostly). Can - I mean: is this "allowed" in "snoot-flashing"? - a second light-source be used to counterbalance such heavy shadows like that of your nose? Are there "rules"?

You're asking me if there are rules? :lol:

Ummm... no. :) No rules. It's like playing a banjo. If whatever you did came out sounding good, then it's good. :)

Actually I would very much like to have a second flash to play with my snoot photos. It's on my list of things to get. A really soft flash on the other side would give the general snoot effect without such harsh dropoffs, which would be nice... though sometimes the harsh dropoffs are cool too. Just kinda varies, depending on what effect you're looking for.

Thanks for the comments, everyone! (and the laughs) :)

Doing this is really challenging. :lol: Have to line up all the elements, then lean back, hope I got it right, trigger the shot, go look at the back of the camera to see if I got it right, be annoyed at my stupid facial expressions, try again, etc. Too funny.

I haven't done this myself, but a while back an acquaintance of mine took a laptop and plugged it up with the camera. Some how set it up to show the image after it was taken that way he could make adjustments from his current position. Don't know how he did it but he did.

Myself, I set my camera to a five second delay and to take five shots with one second in between. I make slight adjustmens between shots and hope one is good.

On the image, the mood you set is good. I like the shadows, but the shadow from your nose is a bit deep. Like you said, self portraits are tough to get right.

Yeah my D300 has an HDMI output that allows you to see pics as you take them... I just haven't figured out exactly how that works, and I don't think I have anything that would display the HDMI. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back