Self Portrait!

DustinWPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dustinwillliamsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is a self portrait that I took of myself to use on my graduation invitations. I know it's not perfect, but I did take it myself so I did the best I could. What are your thoughts?

Taken using a Nikon D5200 with 55mm/200mm Nikkor Lens.

$Invitation Picture.jpg

My thoughts, per request:

• Not really liking the knife blade sticking out of the tree and slicing through your neck.
  • You're very cramped looking in a frame crop that nearly touches you above and on both sides.
  • The light on your face and head is pretty flat.
  • The staring dead straight at the camera head pose isn't doing it for me.
  • The expression on your face makes you look bored to tears; Not very inviting for an invitation picture.
  • There's a rogue thumb and a cut through a wrist at the bottom of the frame.
  • It's not terribly sharp, and looks like maybe the focus is on the tree somewhere.
  • The background seems overly bright, and competes with your face for attention because of it.

In shooting, I would suggest choosing a background that is more homogenous and darker than your face, use a flash with large diffuser or a reflector to control light and shadow to give you a better 3D quality, turn your head slightly and think happy thoughts, use something to stand in for a focus point, then replace it with your eye that is nearest the camera.

In post processing, use a sharpening tool, don't crop too tightly, don't cut off limbs at joints.

Last edited:
Lose the vest, comb the hair, wear a less colorful shirt.

In addition to the above comments, there appears to be a rogue ear sticking out from behind the tree right about the same height as your right ear. What is that?

I'd do a re-shoot.. smile, or at least smile with your eyes! I am sure self portraiture is not easy at all, but maybe consider setting everything up and having a friend or family member help you out?

Next time, use a longer focal length, a faster shutter speed (1/20s is too slow for people), and pick a more suitable background.

Also, your shirt is off the gamut bro.

you should have gone with a bow tie. bow ties are cool.

my biggest complaint is the background. too busy. pick a simpler, solid background and crop either a little above or below your hands. Plus, everything Buckster said was spot on. I see by your web page you have a button for "client login", and from your gallery, I noticed there is not a tab for "people", so I would assume you sell pictures of things other than people. People photography can be difficult because there are a LOT of factors involved that can change, or be changed. how the person is dressed, extremity placement, head tilt, expressions, backgrounds, movement....there's a lot going on even on a simple portrait. I would definitely get some more practice in on friends or family before adding "portraits" to you web page.

and get a bow tie. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back