nicolasnico

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi everyone,
my question: if I sell my picture (or give them), does the person who buys (receives) the picture has the right to edit the picture in post-processing?
In my opinion, one you've post-processed your own picture, you have the right to tell others not to change it and make it look different. But does anyone know how it looks like legally?

Laws vary by country.
So if you want legal advice you would consult an attorney familiar with copyright and derivatives in your country.

Here in the US, yes, a condition of sale can be that the buyer is not allowed to change the photo in any way.

hi everyone,
my question: if I sell my picture (or give them), does the person who buys (receives) the picture has the right to edit the picture in post-processing?
In my opinion, one you've post-processed your own picture, you have the right to tell others not to change it and make it look different. But does anyone know how it looks like legally?
Are you transferring the digital file? I think even if your contract stipulated no altering of the file, people have a difficult time leaving their hands off it. Sell a print, so they will at least have to go through the extra effort to scan it before they alter it.

hi there,
hey, thank you for your feedback! Regarding the country, I live in Kyrgyzstan (Central Asia). I think copyright-wise, it's quite wild. I guess it might turn out to be more of a trust issue between me and those who get my pictures, trusting they'll respect the agreement.
Regarding giving them as print, yeah, I gave them the picture as .jpg (not as handy as a RAW file for post-processing... hopefully). Yet, they could still change it...
It's like painting something, and once you sold your painting, someone decide to re-touch it, changing your style and what you wanted to show. Somehow a tricky business.
Anyway, thanks again, I appreciate!

Not so likely someone would alter a painting or other artwork. With the digital file it's pretty easy to alter it.

With photos it depends on how they'll be used. Photographers usually sell prints if it's for the buyer's personal use such as to hang on the wall. For other uses typically photographers license usage and do a contract before providing a digital file.

Quality photographs developed and printed on very nice paper and nicely framed were "THE" main product of photographers at one time.
Now we can deliver digital files and photos.
Interestingly, with modern computers and scanners we can manipulate the old photos and the new photos pretty much with the same ease.
Take the old photo off the wall and out of the frame - run it through the scanner - take Uncle Louie (the child molester) out of the photo with Photoshop - save a new file - run it down to Walgreens for a new 12X15 print and frame it back on the wall. Can do it in 2 hours or less if you hurry!!!!!!

yeah, that's I mean: people would not paint over someone else's painting. To me, editing my pictures is a bit like painting it until you get what you saw, or what you want. Having someone else then "painting" it over isn't what I'd like to see. So, the idea of a contract is a good one, thanks! (Yeah, the world has changed! And you can even change all already printed pictures...). Thanks to you both for your help!

Digital file makes it easy to alter your image that is provided. Usually, Photographers sell prints which the buyer can make personal use of while rest photographers do license usage by giving digital file.

Most reactions

Back