Sharing some of my "work" *PIC HEAVY*

Way, way, WAY too many image for which to provide effective critique. Good critique takes time to give; please try and limit your posts for critique to no more than four images (and please number the images). As well, do you want critique or kindness? Asking someone to be kind when critiquing images is really rather handicapping them. Critique should never be given rudely, but often people, especially ones new to the hobby who have been told by family and friends how great their work is, are disapointed with the "reality check" given to them by experienced and knowledgable shooters. This isn't done to be mean, but rather to help you improve.

~John

omg no more than 4 images and he posted 5 LOL.

If i label my name on my head, everybody will watch that, not me... if your signature is this much prominent something similar will happen ;)

If I'm not mistaken, I think you can edit your post and remove pictures... maybe just leave in your favorite 3-5 pictures and put what you like about each one/ how you took it (If you remember)

It gives the community a more specific area to critique. Plus if they are the ones you like, then they are the images you are "trying" to make when you go out taking pictures. So critique on that would allow you to change the way you try to take pictures in the future instead of just critiquing the pictures from the past!

Its all about improvement!
When you say "how you took it", do you mean the f-stop/aperture etc information? Forgive my ignorance on this statement/question. Just trying to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying.

Yeah; settings (exif data) or even just physically. Sometimes the work that goes in to getting a shot ("I had to go on a 400km hike up through some mountains to get this...") can make the photo appear differently.

Not sure where... but I remember seeing an artist who didn't eat for like a week and then took pictures of food. It kind of gave an interesting perspective on food and the way she was portraying it while being so hungry!

Way, way, WAY too many image for which to provide effective critique. Good critique takes time to give; please try and limit your posts for critique to no more than four images (and please number the images). As well, do you want critique or kindness? Asking someone to be kind when critiquing images is really rather handicapping them. Critique should never be given rudely, but often people, especially ones new to the hobby who have been told by family and friends how great their work is, are disapointed with the "reality check" given to them by experienced and knowledgable shooters. This isn't done to be mean, but rather to help you improve.

~John

omg no more than 4 images and he posted 5 LOL.

Funny you call me a he... I'm a woman, hence my user name ThaLadyPit. No harm, no foul, lol.

If i label my name on my head, everybody will watch that, not me... if your signature is this much prominent something similar will happen ;)

Oh, okay. Gotcha now. Sometimes I'm just a little slow on the uptake, if you will.

If I'm not mistaken, I think you can edit your post and remove pictures... maybe just leave in your favorite 3-5 pictures and put what you like about each one/ how you took it (If you remember)

It gives the community a more specific area to critique. Plus if they are the ones you like, then they are the images you are "trying" to make when you go out taking pictures. So critique on that would allow you to change the way you try to take pictures in the future instead of just critiquing the pictures from the past!

Its all about improvement!
When you say "how you took it", do you mean the f-stop/aperture etc information? Forgive my ignorance on this statement/question. Just trying to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying.

Yeah; settings (exif data) or even just physically. Sometimes the work that goes in to getting a shot ("I had to go on a 400km hike up through some mountains to get this...") can make the photo appear differently.

Not sure where... but I remember seeing an artist who didn't eat for like a week and then took pictures of food. It kind of gave an interesting perspective on food and the way she was portraying it while being so hungry!

Okay, cool. Thanks for the info provided. I'm still learning, so please be patient with me. I help a team of a few others mod another forum, but our discussion is about dogs, not photography, so we don't get all detailed when posting photos over there, lol. I just learned today about how to find that information because I had no idea that it was automatically saved when I uploaded photos from my camera. I'll get there, in due time.

For now I would read through the critiques others are getting and learn what the common feedback is, then apply that to your own images.

Repeating critiques may include exposure, white balance, framing, shooting portraits in portrait instead of landscape, not chopping off fingers, etc. you can learn a lot by just reading what's being said over and over. When you get something that really makes *you* say "oh wow!!! This is THE shot!" it's time to ask for feedback. :)

For now I would read through the critiques others are getting and learn what the common feedback is, then apply that to your own images.

Repeating critiques may include exposure, white balance, framing, shooting portraits in portrait instead of landscape, not chopping off fingers, etc. you can learn a lot by just reading what's being said over and over. When you get something that really makes *you* say "oh wow!!! This is THE shot!" it's time to ask for feedback. :)

Thank you... probably the best advice I've gotten thus far. Will spend more time reading then.

Snapshots... and that last one is grotesque! One of the ugliest photos I have ever seen, IMO!

Last edited:
cgipson1 said:
Snapshots... and that last one is grotesque! One of the ugliest photos I have ever seen!

How is that supposed to be helpful or useful to the OP? Not exactly constructive....

cgipson1 said:
Snapshots... and that last one is grotesque! One of the ugliest photos I have ever seen!

How is that supposed to be helpful or useful to the OP? Not exactly constructive....

I should maybe go into detail as to whythe last one is ugly? As in the absolutely horrible selective color choice on it?

On the rest of them... where is the subject? They aren't really landscapes....the only one even close is the down the stairs looking one.. and it is so busy with the railing dead center, that it distracts. They are more or less in focus, more or less proper exposures, but the content is severely lacking. Framing leaves much to be desired... composition appears to be non-existent in general! That is my definition of snapshots...

Last edited:
Hey, GP...there is an image even after that; i think you meant the last but one..... the selective color is really problematic here; it looks as if somebody has poured tins of green paint on trees and water(OP< please don't take this bad :D ).... But i am afraid i would do worse than this because i had never attempted this so far :lol:

Thank you everyone for your input. Frequency, no offense taken.

Lighten up Charlie; it's certainly not to my taste either, BUT I think you and I have both agree once or twice in the past that art is subjective, and therefore, logically, the beauty or lack thereof must be subjective as well... One can think an image is grotesque, but cannot state it categorically!

Lighten up Charlie; it's certainly not to my taste either, BUT I think you and I have both agree once or twice in the past that art is subjective, and therefore, logically, the beauty or lack thereof must be subjective as well... One can think an image is grotesque, but cannot state it categorically!

I will add an IMO, to my statement then! ;)

I will add an IMO, to my statement then! ;)
:thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back