Sharpness is Overrated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the while Bitter sits back and eats his popcorn.

Actually, I have been reading when I can. Great discussion for the *most* part.

It is xMastime, and my nasty, grotesque fingers are busy making money.

Lengthy responses will come later.

I'd kill for some popcorn right now. I am starving.

Borrowed a coworkers camera (that had apparently been time traveling) to hook you up.

1000191b.jpg

You're welcome.

It's going back downhill now...it was ok for a while but that's over now.

What a sad crummy mess this is.

It's going back downhill now...it was ok for a while but that's over now.

What a sad crummy mess this is.
Yes, I agree. :thumbdown: Yours is probably the best post from the last 7 pages of this thread, and I just spent way too much time deleting parts of it.

That's cool, Bitter, but I will ask that you refrain from any personal jabs or saying anything inflammatory that might tempt others to respond in kind - then I'll have to make the whole thread vanish.

To all: tolerance and basic politeness need to be more prevalent around here. None of the mods have time for cherry picking this kind of thing, so you'll find most of your threads deleted when they go south like this. Thanks for cooperating!

That's cool, Bitter, but I will ask that you refrain from any personal jabs or saying anything inflammatory that might tempt others to respond in kind - then I'll have to make the whole thread vanish.

To all: tolerance and basic politeness need to be more prevalent around here. None of the mods have time for cherry picking this kind of thing, so you'll find most of your threads deleted when they go south like this. Thanks for cooperating!

I wasn't going to attack my attacker. I was going to respond to Derrel and and Unpopular, and the few others who brought up good points and asked good questions.

This subject interests me. THAT'S why I posted it, and backed it up with examples of some great work.

Thanks for the popcorn!!!

Here is my question: Is desiring sharpness a result of us being socially conditioned as to what a photograph 'should' look like or is it our own personal taste of what we would prefere the result to be? I like it all personally. Some of the most visually strong photos Ive scene are the ones being out of focus. If the subject matter enough significance in substance then to me, it doesnt matter.

You do know that is 180° from what I am after in my definition, right?

Art is any process by which the artist synthesizes a complex idea into a more simple form. The more complex the idea and the more simplified the synthesis the more merited the artwork.

I don't think the minds of the majority of people play well with abstraction. "What does it all mean?" "That line must stand for something other than...well...a line" etc....

Nope. Because art isn't about communication, it's about understanding the world. I am very much not a fan of art being defined by the audience, and even less of a fan of shallow symbolism.

But there is always synthesis, the line represents form, composition, placement - some other aesthetic or conceptual consideration. It's never functioning just as a line.

The thing is these types of threads are ridiculous. There is no definitive right or wrong. There is no "ultimate" source. Everyone here is right and wrong, because this is all opinion/personal belief related based on interpretation of what art should/could/limited to be. All that happens is people going round and round. I don't think I've ever seen one person change their standing because of a response to a thread.

I don't understand why people fear discourse to which there is no solution, that to me is the most beautiful part. The artist tries to understand that which cannot be understood, the whole of the universe; i refuse to give up and make pretty pictures that appeal to our most basic sensibilities.

What fun would life be if we just all agreed?! lol :greenpbl:

I just wish it didn't have to get down to condescending one another.

Behavior I'd never engage in. The shame of it all. The shame... :sexywink:

You do know that is 180° from what I am after in my definition, right?

Art is any process by which the artist synthesizes a complex idea into a more simple form. The more complex the idea and the more simplified the synthesis the more merited the artwork.

I don't think the minds of the majority of people play well with abstraction. "What does it all mean?" "That line must stand for something other than...well...a line" etc....

Nope. Because art isn't about communication, it's about understanding the world. I am very much not a fan of art being defined by the audience, and even less of a fan of shallow symbolism.

But there is always synthesis, the line represents form, composition, placement - some other aesthetic or conceptual consideration. It's never functioning just as a line.

True. But if it was solely about understanding the world, then people wouldn't try so hard to get their art recognized in some shape or form. I don't want to sound like I'm generalizing a whole section of the population (but I'm going to anyways) - artists seem to want to communicate to others their understanding of the world. Isn't that the point of creating the best photo possible, and showing it to people? To allow the world to take a glimpse into how you think, what your understanding of the world is?

I can understand how the line can complement a piece aesthetically or conceptually, but that does not necessarily mean that it is trying to convey some complex meaning other than the literal quality of the piece of art.

Like a photo of a pair of railroad tracks leading into the distance. Maybe the photographer was trying to understand how there is no finish line for human lives, and it's really the journey that matters...yeah.

Or maybe the railroad tracks show a really good example of how parallel lines and symmetry create an appealing image. I don't think that art always has to be about simplifying complexity. Sometimes it's just pretty.

This is just my opinion though. I'm not educated in the arts, so I'm not sure if I'm qualified to even be discussing this. But whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back