Showing my startup, Blockai. We're helping photographers claim their copyrights.

Discussion in 'Articles of Interest' started by NathanLands, Jul 25, 2016.

1. NathanLands

NathanLands TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    see post below.

-'Stache

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2016
  2. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Welcome!
    At the least, your link is going to be deleted per the "Welcome!" sticky post link above.

Also what you have posted may well be adjudicated by the moderators as SPAM so there is also a possibility you will be banned for also violating TPF's TOS.
    However, you may instead be invited top pay to advertise here on TPF by becoming a Supporting Vendor.
    Copyright registration is not very costly.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NathanLands

NathanLands TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Keith. Copyright registration with the Government is not made for the web, there's no API or public data you can use to find out who owns the copyright for a file. We're not trying to replace the need to register with the Gov. In fact, the U.S. Copyright Office has been out to our office and like what we're building.

4. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nathan, you are deflecting.
    What you are doing is advertising - and this site requires that, if you want to advertise, you must pay for the audience.

L

• Like Like x 1
  5. robbins.photo

robbins.photo Yup, It's The Zoo Guy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The copyright office eh? Sounds like government mind control to me. :)

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I kind of find it ironic that someone whose self-styled mission in life is to enforce 'the rules' doesn't read those that apply to himself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    What rule/rules would that/those be?

8. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Bitcoin?? A step in between registering with the Library of Congress and doing nothing (granted, that may be so). I don't know what's with the emphasis on that but as it says on the LOC site, it's easy to do...
    Steps To Copyright (Taking the Mystery Out of Copyright) (Library of Congress)

Interesting what turns up in a search.

Why would there be an advantage in using this instead of just registering copyright? I don't see why I'd want a certificate from Blockai showing my photos are 'registered' (and paid for and recorded) in the Blockai database. But I guess the phrase 'paid for' explains it - seems like a way for Blockai to make money but I don't see any advantage for me as a photographer. I can register my photos myself... and think about where I'd post them, and get/stay informed about copyright (and infringement) thru pro photographer organizations, etc. etc.

9. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And you 'believe' that a record created on the blockchain would serve as sufficient evidence in court?? (I'm reading the article on Techcrunch.) And sending the Blockai certificate would be more serious than an Instagram photo? Well, yeah, probably... but why would I send an Instagram photo instead of a DMCA takedown notice?

The article on Petapixel says the Blockai certificate shows proof of 'publishing' - but a copyrighted photograph is not necessarily published, it would depend on how the photo was used. But then, Petapixel articles aren't necessarily accurate, but thankfully there's a comment from Jack Reznicki who's at least one voice of some reason with some knowledge of copyright.

And if this could potentially give copyright violators a way to pay artists, does Blockai keep some of that payment or does it all go to the photographer?

(And why is it when I start looking into these type things, it's the proverbial onion being peeled? I don't really want an answer, it's a rhetorical question.)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  10. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The UK and US copyright and government have been looking for ways to monetize the service for years and are continually trying to push through this kind of company; ergo one where copyright shifts from being managed by the government into one managed by independent companies; often multiple competing ones. Generating jobs and income and also making a nightmare of a mess of copyright as different companies police different areas; or might cross over so eventually people would hve to pay to be in multiple "libraries".

It's also pushed for by big companies who want to be able to use more online resources that are "unclaimed" by making paid registration a formal step and thus anything that isn't paidfor in an archive loses its protection under copyright and thus is free game to use.

It's a system made for big businesses and to generate revenue and nothing else and serves no interest to the actual creators of content at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You're kidding, right?

12. robbins.photo

robbins.photo Yup, It's The Zoo Guy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Guys, seriously.. cool it. Don't you get it? All this information is being collected and transmitted directly to the "Copyright Office"... which as everyone knows is just a front for the NSA.