Signs that you may be good at photography?

in regards to the copyright thing, YES walmart does honor professional copyrights... my friend went with some pictures that were done by me of their wedding, quite a while a go, and walmart would NOT print them... eventually they just called me to verify that it was ok to print them, and all went well.

This has happened to me several times and it wasn't just for Walley-World. I give my parents a CD copy of photos I take of the kids or special events and they usually have trouble getting them developed at places like this unless I include a signed letter. It is very interesting and makes me wonder if illegal printing of copyrighted material happens a lot.

I definitely don't think Wal-mart or any of them care, they are just watching out for themselves. My parents could fake an approval letter but Wal-mart just wants some kind of proof to cover their butts.

...just like the days of dropping film off at the local pharmacy without the luxury of PP. You had to have your camera set right then,.

I don't understand where you are coming from with this statement. With film processing you are able to tweak the properties of the final photo. Professional labs may have done this better or more extensively but even the typical pharmacy lab does this to some extent. If I had a picture turn out too dark or over blown that I really liked, I would have it resent and the developer was able to correct it most of the time. It would be the same if the color balance was off. In fact there were times that you didn't know if you had incorrect settings or the lab didn't do a very good job.

I don't understand where you are coming from with this statement. With film processing you are able to tweak the properties of the final photo. Professional labs may have done this better or more extensively but even the typical pharmacy lab does this to some extent. If I had a picture turn out too dark or over blown that I really liked, I would have it resent and the developer was able to correct it most of the time. It would be the same if the color balance was off. In fact there were times that you didn't know if you had incorrect settings or the lab didn't do a very good job.

Duly noted.. I, like most people, I would imagine, didn't know you could send your pictures back for reprocessing. When I would open up the envelope of prints and get black ones or overexposed one, I'd just say, "Oh well-messed that one up.."

didn't know you could send your pictures back for reprocessing.

Saw your images of MA and it makes me miss the area. I only lived there a year but your photos brought back wonderful memories.

Now that I strickly shoot with digital and tweak in PS it rarely happens especially since I use one of the local professional photo labs. They have been really nice to work with to get what I want.

When I first began sending in my electronic images to the lab I was getting frustrated trying to figure out why the images were off from what I was seeing on my monitor. I know that the monitor can't even come close to replicating a printed image but there was something wrong in general with the darkness and an over-saturation of color. I tried calibrating my monitor and worked with the lab only to finally start learning the difference about using AdobeRGB versus RGB workspace and how I saved the file. I've no longer had any of those issues.

I then see the photos that my parents had printed at their local Wal-mart and I laugh because they are all out of whack. They still enjoy them none-the-less.

Last edited:
Whenever someone asks me "Who took this?", it's a good day, because they think that a 14 year old wouldn't be able to take such nice shots.

Agreed, I was recently asked that when presenting some photos, in a restaurant to family friends.

I would do that...or just go to a different store if thats possible. I have a coupon for 25 free prints at rite aid and if they dont accept it I just go to the other rite aid down the block. If you want the coupon PM me. You can use it until the end of the year for as much as you have ink in your printer at home.

If you are the photographer, just sign a release stating you agree to the printing, ect. I've learned to have one in advance, you can actually get theirs off of their website (it was posted earlier). Take it as a compliment! :lol:

Try being 48 and walking through a mall with about $7000 in camera equipment in your hands, you get asked for cards about every 10 feet!

Still doesn't mean that I am a pro or even know how to do anything more than hold the darn camera. ;)

The bigger your lens, the more "professional" you will appear to the public.

When ever I hear:

"Wow, you must have a really great camera!"

or

"Your CAMERA can take shots like THAT!?"

...is when I know I've taken a good one ;)

Well, I'm happy for you that you had the chance to feel this swell of pride! :D
Feels good, doesn't it?

Like when I was once asked by a lady from Andalucia which South American country I was born in (we spoke Spanish), when I was born in Germany, had been raised in Germany, had never spoken a word of Spanish until I was 22, and only started to learn it as a foreign language THEN. :D Hmmmmmm, to be mistaken for a native speaker ... ahhh! Felt as good as being mistaken for a pro must have felt to you! :D

Yes, I remember once being told that I spoke Spanish like a German from South America. My heritage is neither Spanish, nor German but I studied and speak both languages.

skieur

When ever I hear:

"Wow, you must have a really great camera!"

:lmao: Totally agreed, classic line.

The boyfriend of one of my colleagues at work apparently owns a DSLR of some sort. According to my work colleague, "you just can't take a bad photo with it". :er: I've yet to see either of their photos.

The nicest compliment (sort of), is when you show someone exampls of your photos and they don't believe you've taken them, 'must have been a professional'.

Dam... I must go to the wrong malls. That never happens to me!

It's all in the technique. You see, you must cradle the camera in one arm as if it was a baby and gently as you walk, swing it back and forth and coo to it now and then.

Why even last week, I had 3 men in white jackets want to almost help me out of the mall to my studio wanting pictures! :lol: :lol:

The bigger your lens, the more "professional" you will appear to the public.

How true that is! I was sitting in a restaurant reviewing some photos I had just shot, keeping quietly to myself when the two girls at the table next to me asked me if I was a member of the paparazzi! I said no, and she asked, what do you take photos of? I said, well for the most part, horses, dogs and their owners.

God that gave me a good laugh that day...

When you post an image here, ask for C&C ... and nobody has anything to correct.

On the other hand, if only a few newbies have seen your image...............

Most reactions

Back