Not open for further replies.

Light Artisan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Canada is apparently a wonderful place with no need for home defense, or to own a gun at all.

Hash it out, hope you get all your questions answered Skieur.

Illegal and unnecessary in Canada.

I will keep it super simple. I don't understand logically, why a gun is needed for home defense or protection in the woods. Is the U.S. that dangerous where you live? Are you that fit and well-trained that you could even attempt home defense? Unless you are involved in drugs and/or gangs, the need for home defense is about as necessary as the need for protection from lightening. Perhaps you should come to Canada.
The only aggressive wild life that I have encountered has been in the jungles down south, NOT in the woods of Canada.

Now, perhaps that is an excuse for wanting a gun, rather than needing one. The "macho" ...my gun is bigger than yours, I suppose appeals to some? Sure, americans have the right to carry a gun, but as a Canadian, I am still mystified as to why they bother to do so.

Nobody has explained it to me, in any LOGICAL manner, yet. (I am looking for a reasonable explanation, by the way, the OP seemed to be looking for an argument).

skieur

Last edited:
I'm with Skieur. I don't get it. It seems immensely more detrimental to society than it is beneficial. I guess that's the only way in which Americans are liberal - in their gun ownership :p

What I don't understand is blaming inanimate objects for crimes...

I think it's a need to rationalize behaviour that isn't compatible with our own. Such as, "I would never kill someone. I don't have a gun. He has a gun. The gun must have influenced him to kill".

:whs:

There are criminals in Canada just like in the US and I chose to protect myself, my family and my property. Look at Australia's crime rate when they banned guns...you know all the great world leaders have favored gun control. Hitler, Stalin, Castro....hmmm

By no mean I want to be offensive to anyone, a hobby is a hobby. But I got to go with Skieur on that one. I feel just as safe, if not more, without a gun than with one. In the end it ends up like the big SUV thing that they are safer on the road... but when everyone drive them... ends up the same no? It is a constitutional right in US, wise man decided so and is fine with US population, well good for them. Canada think differently, if everyone were thinking the same way life would be awfully boring. Light artisan, I hope you find what suit you best and use it with wisdom. Can't say anymore than this. Canada and US are similar on many things, some are different, no reason to get bitter at each other.:hug::

Criminals will get guns no matter what. Gun laws or no gun laws. Why put the citizens who are NOT criminals, who will use for self defense, at a disadvantage?
Banning guns is not the answer because legal or not, they will fall into the wrong hands.

I started this so he could get his answers without hosing up my thread, nothing more - nothing less.

All I have to say is that if some prick comes into my house with ill intentions to hurt any of my 3 kids or my wife they'll have to get through me first, and I'll be more prepared than they are. The thought of some psycho having his way in my home while I'm defenseless sends a chill down my spine like nothing else.

I may never need it, and my whole point is that I hope I never, EVER do. I hope it's the biggest waste of money I've ever spent... but, should that awful moment ever cross my path I don't want to say to myself 'if only I had...'

to tell you the truth, i see less in common between the US and Canada than similar... history, culturally, and politically.

Gun ownership is a scapegoat for the high crime rate.... US would have a high crime rate regardless of states level of gun control. Yes we have our problems.. but we also have a greats

I would rather own a gun and never use it, than be in a situation thats beyond my control and NEED it. But I also live in a place that has a higher crime rate than most of the world. Toodles.

A person could kill someone with any number of items you find in your home everyday, if they chose to do so. Do you propose that all these items be banned as well? Must we as people be so protected from ourselves that we rely on governments to lead us around blindly for our own well being? What will be next, knives, scissors, baseball bats? While guns may be used for self protection, if you talk to people who own them, they primarily use them for sport or just to collect. No different than cars or trucks. Both of which can be used to kill someone, by the way. If guns are not your cup of tea, then so be it. But don't be so quick to pass judgement. Remember, it's not the gun that causes the problem, it's the person who handles it and if that person wishes to harm, having a gun or not won't make the difference. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back