Skieur's Why Do Americans Have Guns Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL - The search tag showing up for this thread right now is "why are americans have the right to have guns"...

Sorry, but that was NOT my title and NOT my quote either. I was interested in WHY americans feel that they NEED to carry guns.

skieur

I was interested in WHY americans feel that they NEED to carry guns.
That is a generalization. You may wish to be more specific as to why a certain population feel the need.

Lol the answer is simple.

Its called the Superiority complex, a well known mental illness.
The need to feel superior to others has been going on for centurys within the US mens

For the one with does not know what is this illess is all about.

The superiority complex is one of the ways which a person with an inferiority [feeling] complex may use as a method of escape from his difficulties. He assumes that he is superior when he is not, and this false success compensates him for the state of inferiority which he cannot bear. The normal person does not have a superiority complex, he does not even have a sense of superiority. He has the striving to be superior in the sense that we all have ambition to be successful; but so long as this striving is expressed in work it does not lead to false valuations, which are at the root of mental disease.

IMO, carrying a gun to do your groceries, park and other public places, in your car and your camera bag is totally one way to feel superior to the other dude right beside you. you can say whatever you want, its what it is. You can keep the protection bull****s to yourselves.

The need to feel superior to others has been going on for centurys within the US mens

The superiority complex is one of the ways which a person with an inferiority [feeling] complex may use as a method of escape from his difficulties. He assumes that he is superior when he is not, and this false success compensates him for the state of inferiority which he cannot bear. The normal person does not have a superiority complex, he does not even have a sense of superiority. He has the striving to be superior in the sense that we all have ambition to be successful; but so long as this striving is expressed in work it does not lead to false valuations, which are at the root of mental disease.

IMO, carrying a gun to do your groceries, park and other public places, in your car and your camera bag is totally one way to feel superior to the other dude right beside you. you can say whatever you want, its what it is. You can keep the protection bull****s to yourselves.

Yes. But I can see the carrying it in your camera bag. I, like most people on here, have a few thousand dollars of gear in my camera bag. My odds of getting mugged while carrying that around are MUCH higher than without it. Call it what you want, I value my camera gear, and my life.

I don't even carry one on me in public. There is a .22 rifle in my car sometimes but thats it. They usually stay at home.

LOL - The search tag showing up for this thread right now is "why are americans have the right to have guns"...

Sorry, but that was NOT my title and NOT my quote either. I was interested in WHY americans feel that they NEED to carry guns.

skieur

Why are you avoiding the real facts in Canada that I posted?

You people and your Googlikipedia. You sounds like an experts!

Maybe you can diagnose me without using a search function...like why do I know I'm superior to you, when I've never even owned a gun?

You people and your Googlikipedia. You sounds like an experts!

Maybe you can diagnose me without using a search function...like why do I know I'm superior to you, when I've never even owned a gun?

I am not an expert! I am a wikiexpert!

:lmao:

That is a generalization. You may wish to be more specific as to why a certain population feel the need.

OK, let me rephrase that. I was interested in why a lot of americans seem to feel the need to carry guns and whether they considered the consequences of using a gun.

The main issue back at the start was home protection. As a Canadian who has spent time in tents, trailers, isolated cottages, cabins, in bear country by the way, and homes, as well a cross country skiing, way off the beaten track, I never considered a gun as necessary and certainly not carrying one around in a holster.

Moreover as I mentioned, considering the legal consequences of using a gun to protect your home against intruders, it had the potential for increasing the gun owner's legal hassles, exponentially. Of course, one always hears the clichee "better to spend time in jail than be dead" Personally, considering the choice of sharing a 6 foot by 8 foot cell with a druggie with fried brains or an aggressive psycho, and coping with the guards, I would prefer death.

So, I don't see any logic in the "home protection" argument and when I read posts about bigger guns or having an AR at home, I become even more mystified. What is the point? Getting into a shoot-out in your home?

As to carrying a gun when you are out doing photography, again as protection against what. Where I have been coyotes keep their distance, bears ignore you, if you don't seem threatening to them, etc. The greatest danger is probably hunters that have had too much to drink. You can't shoot them, but you may have to be very careful that they don't shoot you.
You can of course shoot your gun in the woods, but then handguns do not have the same accuracy as rifles.

By the way, have any of the posters here, ever needed to pull out their gun for protection?

skieur

I am not an expert! I am a wikiexpert!

I see your five minutes of research, and raise you...

A five second Google search!

Why do people like to use wikipedia and post info in forums like an expert? - Google Search

Notice the very first find...lol

To bad i lost 4 years of my life doing a BA in psychology at Ottawa U

However, I can probably find a really nice wiki deffinition on Paranoia wich could also be used to diagnose half of the photographers on here who carries gun in thier camera bags.

doublefacepalm.jpg

OK, let me rephrase that. I was interested in why a lot of americans seem to feel the need to carry guns and whether they considered the consequences of using a gun.

The main issue back at the start was home protection. As a Canadian who has spent time in tents, trailers, isolated cottages, cabins, in bear country by the way, and homes, as well a cross country skiing, way off the beaten track, I never considered a gun as necessary and certainly not carrying one around in a holster.

Moreover as I mentioned, considering the legal consequences of using a gun to protect your home against intruders, it had the potential for increasing the gun owner's legal hassles, exponentially. Of course, one always hears the clichee "better to spend time in jail than be dead" Personally, considering the choice of sharing a 6 foot by 8 foot cell with a druggie with fried brains or an aggressive psycho, and coping with the guards, I would prefer death.

So, I don't see any logic in the "home protection" argument and when I read posts about bigger guns or having an AR at home, I become even more mystified. What is the point? Getting into a shoot-out in your home?

As to carrying a gun when you are out doing photography, again as protection against what. Where I have been coyotes keep their distance, bears ignore you, if you don't seem threatening to them, etc. The greatest danger is probably hunters that have had too much to drink. You can't shoot them, but you may have to be very careful that they don't shoot you.
You can of course shoot your gun in the woods, but then handguns do not have the same accuracy as rifles.

By the way, have any of the posters here, ever needed to pull out their gun for protection?

skieur

Probably none. They shoot targets.

doublefacepalm.jpg

OK, let me rephrase that.
Cheers for that because I didn't want to come out with my "Canadians wear funny hats" comment. :D

Back on topic. I grew up and after many years, have moved back on the family farm. I used to hunt game, but would only hunt what I would eat. I have no problem with that kind of "sportsman". I dispise trophy hunters. I don't see the need for Joe Citizen to posses a hand gun. Handguns and Automatic weapons frighten me for various reasons, however, I will fight for the right for Joe Citizen to own a hand gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back