So abandon house shots you guys take.

Kbarredo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do you just break in? Are there no trespassing signs around. I live in an oil booming city so abandoned sites are rare. I found a place but there was a no trespassing sign. I dont want to get a 5k fine or 6months in jail for taking some shots. Has anyone here ever been caught.

I suppose the condition of the house plays a part. Perhaps the no trespassing sign is there for your safety? I've seen several abandoned houses that would be fun to photograph, but I fear falling through the floor and getting stuck!

I would imagine though, that even IF someone caught you trespassing (which probably wouldn't happen), once they saw your camera gear and realized you aren't up to no good they'd just ask you to leave. Is there any way for you to determine who the owner of the property is? Maybe you can call them to get permission.

I do not go in, I shoot from the road.

P1030336sm-1.jpg

You can do a free search on the Internet or at the planning zoning building to get tax maps and see who owns the property. I have done it many times at work.

I've gone into places where they had signs and no signs. The worst thing they can do is write your name and ban you from the site.

I've gone into places where they had signs and no signs. The worst thing they can do is write your name and ban you from the site.
You should read up on the criminal code of canada, they can do a lot worse they just choose not to.

DorkSterr said:

Where do you live, Mayberry?? Do you think they can prosecute for trespassing?? Will they, probably not, but I doubt they will get out their "notepad" and jot your name down to save for future reference that you have been banned...

It really depends, some places like the old Philadelphia State Hospital had armed guards on the premises 24/7, but now it's demolished :(

There is an awesome site that I love, Abandoned Oklahoma | Preserving Oklahoma's Past , that goes around Oklahoma (and parts of Kansas i think) and shoots inside buildings/around them...puts together a background history to the abandoned location and whatnot.

As far as I know, they do not necessarily always have permission...but alot of the time I think this is in effect :
"Traditionally, for either type of trespass, some level of intent is required. Thus, the trespasser must not simply unwittingly traverse another’s land but must knowingly go onto the property without permission. Knowledge may be inferred when the owner tells the trespasser not to go on the land, when the land is fenced, or when a “no trespassing” sign in posted. A trespasser would probably not be prosecuted if the land was open, the trespasser’s conduct did not substantially interfere with the owner’s use of the property, and the trespasser left immediately on request." Trespassing Law | Abandoned Oklahoma

Anyways, this thread reminded me of these guys who go shooting...i live in Oklahoma though so I'll probablly be the only one who enjoys looking around that site lol.

Have you ever seen Deliverance?

but I doubt they will get out their "notepad" and jot your name down to save for future reference that you have been banned...

Coming from a family with a fair number of people in law enforcement, that's exactly what they do. If you're simply taking photos, you'll be warned, and your personal info will be taken down. If you get caught there again, you'll be taken in. Obviously if you're there committing vandalism, under age drinking, etc., you'll be hauled away on a first offense.

The camera club I belong too has gotten permission to shot at local abandon sites. We go as a group, don't touch anything and when we are done we send the owner copies of everyone's best shots from the day. We have gotten access to an old farm (2 homes, numerous out buildings, tons of old farm equipment). It's located in the middle of a state park, owned by US Army Corps of Engineers, large fence with barbed wire surronds the whole site. It hasn't been opened to the general population for many years. The other was an abandon missle testing site north of Denton (many of us didn't even know it existed). It is privately owned, the old barracks, buildings, funiture, even clothespins still on the laundry lines. I believe our next outing is to a privately owned large wild cat rescue.

What worries me the most is security confiscating my gear, can they do that?

What worries me the most is security confiscating my gear, can they do that?

I guess just go to Illinois, if you get caught, just tell them Subsucks family said it was ok. lol, I guess its a chance you will have to weigh and see if its worth the risk. I doubt they would take your gear, unless you turned your camera into a bong and were smoking out of it too. Then... maybe.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back