So abandon house shots you guys take.

Well, I will add my two cents worth...it is my understanding, from discussions with my legal friends that LEGALLY (in Canada, not sure about the US), they cannot confiscate your equipment, nor can they ask or force you to erase images that you have already taken...they can definitely ask you to leave and they may record your visit. In addition, if you broke a window, or a lock, forced a door or window, then you can be charged not only with trespassing, but you could also be charged with Break and Enter offences, wilful damage to private property, public mischief etc. If you are charged with B & E, then they can impound your car if you used it to get to the place - they will probably have to give it back, but they can impound it, not sure for how long, but I suspect they can keep it until a judgement is rendered or you plead guilty to the B&E charge...

There do not have to be any signs posted, e.g., No Trespassing, for you to be charged with trespassing, after all you are technically on private property and were not invited in. This may be moot if there are no fences and the gates or doors are open, but don't push it. Also, if you run into problems and are injured, then the property owner is not liable for damages to you or your equipment.

My advice, get permission and if you do, carry it with you when you go to visit. This is about all I know for the Canadian scene, not only that, these "rules" may have changed in recent years, so check the current laws/rules/regulations.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

I found a canola field with a no trespassing sign. As if I'm gonna steal some canola and make my own oil.

Haha people probably go hunting there or walk their dogs.. That's probably why they have the sign lol

Haha people probably go hunting there or walk their dogs.. That's probably why they have the sign lol

I'm acutally going to go with using them for photography sessions. ;) Either way their fields and crop are getting trampled on and that isn't good at harvest time.

I usually just walk in the front door

272802_1969128304125_1120471979_33015367_7872709_o.jpg

Hunter, hikers, photographers, four-wheelers, dirt-bikers, it's hard to say but we have similar issues where I live. It's amazing what people will do to a field, even if there are posted signs. Back to the original topic, I am currently waiting on a response from two different land owners for permission to enter some of their property. If I get it I intend to print the response and take it with me that way I have some proof that I was given permission should someone ask. Unfortunately most people out here won't give permission because they would be liable should I become injured while on site. I fact, I'm pretty sure they would be liable even if I was trespassing. Of coarse, I need to be extra careful with things like this because I carry a concealed weapon, this would open a whole new can of worms if I am caught committing a crime while carrying. As others have mentioned, there are plenty of other things to watch out for as well, squatters, wild animals, structural instability ect.

I found a canola field with a no trespassing sign. As if I'm gonna steal some canola and make my own oil.

:lol: Me too, but if you live in an urban area surrounded by vanishing farmlands as I do, you will find almost every square cm of it is posted. Not that you will take the Canola, but they don't want hunters and others trampling the crop , tearing down fences, etc. and in some places the law says that if you really want to keep trespassers out, then it has to be posted...that's all. Still, it is very frustrating for us who respect the farm property and maybe just want to walk up a fenceline or a tractor trail to grab a few images.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

:lol: Me too, but if you live in an urban area surrounded by vanishing farmlands as I do, you will find almost every square cm of it is posted. Not that you will take the Canola, but they don't want hunters and others trampling the crop , tearing down fences, etc. and in some places the law says that if you really want to keep trespassers out, then it has to be posted...that's all. Still, it is very frustrating for us who respect the farm property and maybe just want to walk up a fenceline or a tractor trail to grab a few images.Cheers,WesternGuy
yes I am respectful of their crops. Those canola flowers can leave really horrible stains. I usually stick to tractor trials or spots with no growth. What city you live in. I'm in gp.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back