Some girls never grow up.....

What e.rose is suggesting as a different type of lighting effect could only be accomplished with this specific,exact lighting set-up by moving the SUBJECT and background, in relation to where the immovable diffusion panel and softbox were located.

If you cannot move the light, you have to change the way the subject is posed, in relation to said light. The camera can either stay, OR move with the subject.

Looking at the behind the scenes shot of the mini-studio in another thread, I know that the diffusion sheet was literally, pinned to the ceiling, so the light was stationary, immovable as it were.

Hmm, The light was indeed at the top of the wall so thats not quite spot on. It was to my right, and I was at the front 1/4 of it. How far forward would you suggest I be?

That's what I'm saying... You were too far forward. You needed to move the *lighting* set up forward, and you should have been towards the back, so the light would be coming in not only from the side, but in front of you.
Sorry, I misunderstood you! Thats usually what happens when I post before coffee!

What e.rose is suggesting as a different type of lighting effect could only be accomplished with this specific,exact lighting set-up by moving the SUBJECT and background, in relation to where the immovable diffusion panel and softbox were located.

If you cannot move the light, you have to change the way the subject is posed, in relation to said light. The camera can either stay, OR move with the subject.

Looking at the behind the scenes shot of the mini-studio in another thread, I know that the diffusion sheet was literally, pinned to the ceiling, so the light was stationary, immovable as it were.
You are correct Derrel, My setup was more directed towards east of shooting, and should have been more for results and posing. I was hoping opening up my web cam app would have made it so I could see what I was shooting. It didn't work, anyways so I should have adjusted. Next time!
Hold Right There Lady!!! Why do I see only 1 pic??? Where is #1 or 2#?? Are you hiding something from me?? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won't repost the "gastric distress" image, sorry. Here is the edited version of one I deleted, and one to fill in for the deleted image. ;-) No hiding here!
15467720086_7ebc96b963_b.jpg
15490298622_493358a9d6_b.jpg

Selfies are hard! Usually I use a stool, with a stack of empty coffee cans to set focus and DOF. Once everything is locked down, remove the cans and sit with a 2 second wireless remote. Pick a spot on the wall to aim your head, trip the wireless release, aim your head at the spot, rotate eyes toward camera. You may need one spot for your head to be facing, and a second spot for your eyes. That way you get some white between the iris and the edge. Use a couple of post-it notes if you need to. Your head position is pretty good, you can see skin at the notch of the right eye, but no ear. That's what you are going for. Just the eyes are too far to your left.
My studio used to be my office, so I have yellow walls and a white stucco ceiling. Rather than repaint, I strung piano wire through some screw eyes and clipped black plastic to them. I have two wires down each side of the room so I can hang white or black as desired, and can suspend black across the ceiling if I want. The white ceiling really helps because when I want the lights up really high, I can take off the umbrellas or softboxes and put on snouts made from coffee cans, then fire the lights at the ceiling where I want the light to come from. I get big soft light from the top, and I can adjust the light by moving strobes closer to, or further from, the ceiling.
Canon provides software for tethering, and some bodies come with a long USB cable, so I can tether, and have the software take photos at regular intervals. I don't look at the monitor when doing that. I just have it take a bunch of photos, then examine them to see if I want to change anything. Rinse and repeat. I should probably do it with a notebook so the monitor could be where I think I should be looking. Then I would be looking at the right spot and could see my expression, which may help, or hinder, I'll have to try that.

Yep, focus points (especially with a limited DoF) are tough with selfies. One option is to put an "X" on the floor with tape that indicates where you need to stand (or the spot your eyes need to be at when standing). It takes a little bit of setup work but it's worth it if you're going to shoot a series of selfies.

Selfies are when I appreciate the WIFI on my camera, and the EOS remote app. No more guesswork, it's so nice to be able to control my camera through my phone. My iPhone screen literally turns into a mobile live view screen. So I can set focus on my eyes from my phone, set it on a 2 second self timer, hit the shutter from my phone, and then toss the phone out of the frame before the camera shoots :) Usually I have some pillows just out of the frame, or a stool or something I can reach quickly and easily.

Selfies are when I appreciate the WIFI on my camera, and the EOS remote app. No more guesswork, it's so nice to be able to control my camera through my phone. My iPhone screen literally turns into a mobile live view screen. So I can set focus on my eyes from my phone, set it on a 2 second self timer, hit the shutter from my phone, and then toss the phone out of the frame before the camera shoots :) Usually I have some pillows just out of the frame, or a stool or something I can reach quickly and easily.
Yeah, my nikon doesn't have that feature built in. I can get an adapter but it's on a long list of wants!

I seriously never thought I'd use the WIFI but I do. It's handy in some situations. But I'd live without it too, it wouldn't be high on my list of "shiny things to buy" if I didn't have it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back