Start up lights for studio, family and portraits shots.

tfugle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, about to buy my first lights. Wondering if ive chosen the right ones. Thinking of buying Godox V1 and Godox AD200pro. Then build from there. Would that be a nice start or should i choose something else?

The Godox line are quite nice.

Is there a reason you are going with two different battery powered lights?
Was thinking it would be nice to start with one on camera flash and 1 off. Didint think about the batteries to be honest. But im very open to sugestions

I would suggest sticking with the same type of light. This way you only have to worry about one set of menus/setting to learn. A flash can work both on and off camera is where I would start.

I would suggest sticking with the same type of light. This way you only have to worry about one set of menus/setting to learn. A flash can work both on and off camera is where I would start.
So rather 2 ad200? Also saw the godox rx 400ii . Would that be better?

So if you wish to do on and off camera flash, I would suggest a simple Good TT600 or two. They're inexpensive and have all of the features you would require. Paired with the Good X1 remote you would have everything you need to start.

As you gain experience you'll know what type of flash would work for you.

More importantly, what's your budget? Flashpoint is the same as Godox but the Flashpoint R2 Mark II Trigger offers some nice additions over the Godox Pro trigger.

Flashpoint Zoom Li-On X R2 TTL is $259.00 x 2 = $518.00
Flashpoint eVOLV 200Pro TTL is $349.00 x 2 = $698.00
Flashpoint XPLOR 400 Pro TTL is 649.00 x 2 = $1,298.00

I would let my budget determine what I could buy.

So if you wish to do on and off camera flash, I would suggest a simple Good TT600 or two. They're inexpensive and have all of the features you would require. [...]

Uh, I wouldnt get a cheaper model than 1-2 TT685<some character, depends upon the system> and the X-Pro<some character> trigger

The TT600<some character> doesnt do TTL (through the lens, i.e. automatic metering of the flash). Now you can scoff at TTL and claim its unneeded luxury, but yeah, I would want to have that.

Compared to for example original Nikon flashes, this stuff is riddiculously cheap anyway.

More importantly, what's your budget? Flashpoint is the same as Godox but the Flashpoint R2 Mark II Trigger offers some nice additions over the Godox Pro trigger.

Flashpoint Zoom Li-On X R2 TTL is $259.00 x 2 = $518.00
Flashpoint eVOLV 200Pro TTL is $349.00 x 2 = $698.00
Flashpoint XPLOR 400 Pro TTL is 649.00 x 2 = $1,298.00

Flashpoint Studio 300 R2 - Bowens Mount is $109 x 2 = $218
Flashpoint Studio 400 R2 - Bowens Mount is $139 x 2 = $278

Battery-powered costs more, but it gives freedom.

Flashpoint Studio 300 R2 - Bowens Mount is $109 x 2 = $218
Flashpoint Studio 400 R2 - Bowens Mount is $139 x 2 = $278

Considering the OP was originally thinking of battery powered units that also do TTL, these would not be the equivalent in those two features. They are quite limiting but can they light a portrait, sure as long as you have mains power, forget those in the woods nature shots.

Studios arent usually outdoors...

10 years ago battery powered options were quite inferior or extremely expensive. Today it makes sense to consider battery powered studio flash units even though they cost two to three times more than AC powered units.

In November I attended a group horror themed shoot at a large PDX area haunted house , called Fear PDX... battery powered studio flashes were everywhere... there were many small shooting areas 90% of which had no electricity.

Battery-powered monolights are now a viable option . A decade ago I would not have considered them, but over the last few years the number of offerings have increased substantially and so has the quality and versatility. If I were just starting out today I would look at battery-powered alternatives.

Last edited:
Reactions: AQS

Most reactions

New Topics

Back