Steak Pie

Tried focus stacking for the first time but it only showed the attached which didn't seem helpful. Maybe because of my lack of knowledge on how to use it.

To focus stack you will need to take shots with different focus points. Options are to either keep the camera in one place and change the focus point with the lens or to keep the lens at one focus point and move the camera. With this I usually use the best f/stop for the lens and unless you have a focus rail then it is easier to first try out this with some careful manual focus. Some cameras can be tethered to a laptop and have software step the lens through different focus points or control a focus rail with a stepper motor. Note that you will usually lose some of the image after processing so usually need to include slightly more area in the initial image. You need to use a tripod. I use Zerene Stacker to combine the images. Depending on depth-of-field and subject it could be just a few images to over a dozen.
I like to use a custom white balance and manual exposure so those things are not changed by the camera from shot to shot.
I think your image as it is now is pretty good, but it could be worthwhile to try out some focus stacking just in case you really need it sometime.

Others have pitched in with the technical stuff, being a foodie myself all I can say is:
This looks scrummy! Well done mate.
Cheers!

Tried focus stacking for the first time but it only showed the attached which didn't seem helpful. Maybe because of my lack of knowledge on how to use it.

To focus stack you will need to take shots with different focus points. Options are to either keep the camera in one place and change the focus point with the lens or to keep the lens at one focus point and move the camera. With this I usually use the best f/stop for the lens and unless you have a focus rail then it is easier to first try out this with some careful manual focus. Some cameras can be tethered to a laptop and have software step the lens through different focus points or control a focus rail with a stepper motor. Note that you will usually lose some of the image after processing so usually need to include slightly more area in the initial image. You need to use a tripod. I use Zerene Stacker to combine the images. Depending on depth-of-field and subject it could be just a few images to over a dozen.
I like to use a custom white balance and manual exposure so those things are not changed by the camera from shot to shot.
I think your image as it is now is pretty good, but it could be worthwhile to try out some focus stacking just in case you really need it sometime.

Thanks for the help and encouragement. I thought it would be great fun to write a cookbook. Now I cook for two days, eat the meal warm the first day and reheated the second day.

I used a tripod and a timer and a whole range of f stops. I will try manual focus with the software you mentioned.

Maybe I didn't use the PS focus stacker correctly. What I got didn't seem helpful.

focus stacking.jpg

I can darken the veg in LR but not much I can do about over exposed now. What could I have done about it when shooting?

There are a few things you can do easiest is to flag or block as much of the light hitting the vegs with a black card, and the second option I know it as feathering the light this is done by rotating the softbox away from the product so it is not 90 degrees to the product. Last option is taking multiple exposures one for the vegs and one for the pie then compositing them in PS. Believe it or not a lot of food and product photography is not done all in camera it is 2-10+ images composited together.

This cheesecake image I took is focus stacked about 5 shots(should have been more, too late), then each Oreo has a shot so this image is about 9 photos. Then composited together in PS.
Cheesecake_Vsmall.jpg

I can darken the veg in LR but not much I can do about over exposed now. What could I have done about it when shooting?

There are a few things you can do easiest is to flag or block as much of the light hitting the vegs with a black card, and the second option I know it as feathering the light this is done by rotating the softbox away from the product so it is not 90 degrees to the product. Last option is taking multiple exposures one for the vegs and one for the pie then compositing them in PS. Believe it or not a lot of food and product photography is not done all in camera it is 2-10+ images composited together.

This cheesecake image I took is focus stacked about 5 shots(should have been more, too late), then each Oreo has a shot so this image is about 9 photos. Then composited together in PS.
View attachment 111864

Great shot and I see the difference !

And I will try some of the tips.

Was it you that mentioned using software that makes a ring around the object when using manual focus?

I wanted to check out the software but can't find the post, so I don't know the name of the software.

I use Zerene Stacker to combine the images. Depending on depth-of-field and subject it could be just a few images to over a dozen.

Said he used Zerene Stacker, PS also has the option and Helicon Focus is also a good one.

Correct PS does do layer masking to revel only sharp images. Check out this awesome video from Phlearn

Some of Ron's bread, limr's wine, heaping pile of that steak pie, and photomikes desert and I'm good to go! SWEET!!!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back