Stress: A general discussion

Flicking angry chinchillas on the ear can be EXTREMELY stressful.

Garbz, you put in a long day that doesn't produce any stress, what do you do?

I'm a zen ninja.

No on a serious note I subscribe to the view that what happens happens. Stress is borne from trying to change something as it is happening. So I'm at work a few hours longer one day that's fine by me, I don't make it a habit. I'm lucky enough to be working somewhere now that I'll simply show up to work late the day after with my bosses understanding. My last workplace didn't have that, and I didn't stress either, I just quit and found another job. I was called on my mobile internationally while at the top of a ski field on a holiday in Canada telling me my employment contract fell through because of the GFC. When I hung up the phone I turned to my friend and told him I'm now a jobless hobo and watch me beat his slow butt to the bottom of the slope.

I don't get worked up over things because quite frankly life is too short. Now admittedly this doesn't always work. My job has a steady pay rate so if I were working on commission I may not have the luxury of going home tonight knowing that I will have enough money to eat. Having few tangible cares in life helps. But in general life finds a way and you may as well try to enjoy the ride.

It is understandable that people stress when they are really placed in situations of stress, but there's way too many people out there who literally stress over nothing. The above examples while they had no impact on my life would bring some people towards a nervous breakdown.

I stress if I'm told a close family member is rushed to hospital, but not if my boss asks me to stay back for a few hours and finish something.

I do have a close friend that stresses over even the littlest things in life, I had told him one day how in debt I was and he said he couldn't function with that kind of debt, and how do I deal with it, I just said, I do what I can to make it better, and I play sports to vent when I have to. People take vacations to help unwind, when I'm working I'm on vacation from the stress of not working, if that makes sence. If I don't work I stress over finding the next paying job. I try and be as laid back as I can, not let the little things bother me, and for the most part as long as my family is happy, then I'm doing alright.

Ok, I am not sure I get the point of this thread.

I have to agree with Bitter here. What is the point?

As a freelancer shooting wars I had way less stress than I should have today with over $... invested in my studio (Imagine a studio with three shooting areas, one of which is designed to take in trucks. Big ones that is.), yet I am as stressless as can be. I just don't care. And, no, I am not too drunk to care. I am just too old/experienced to realize that what will be, will be.

And since no one tried to tell you about real stress yet, I will, lol. For a different kind of project I went and drove a big truck for about a year on the good old american highways. THAT was the most fooking stressful job I ever had. Six months in and I was asking the old timers how the hell they had lasted 18 years (or whatever.) Six months in and I wanted to get home to mama.

You have no idea how relax your job is until you try someone else's... Get over it.

Including a nuclear holocaust!

I actually know someone who stockpiles weapons and tinned food for the end of the world. Not me. When the bombs are falling you'll find me out there at ground zero with a camera, or in bed with a hot girl, or playing xbox whichever I happen to decide is my favorite thing in the world. :).

Though on a serious note again, yes that would be stressful, trying to survive is fundamentally "trying to change what is happening" in a holocaust. But then I think this is on a different scale from what's going on in this thread :) Actually come to think of it we had massive floods in our city in Feb. My mum rushed out in a panic to buy drinking water and other stuff. I cracked open a beer and thought what a waste of time, and it was, the shops were completely emptied of supplies, but 5 days later were half stocked again. In the meantime my girlfriend brought up some milk for my morning coffee (she lives in the next city over).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back